1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Walter Woods Ultra Hi and Stereo Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassbwithu, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Bassbwithu

Bassbwithu Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2004
    McKinney, TX
    Had the opportunity to play a stereo and ultra Hi side by side. The Ultra Hi was a 2002 and Stereo a 2001. The stereo had more volume overall (bridged) and ran cooler than the ultra hi. Just wondering if anyone has had this experience. My thought is that the stereo runs more efficiently with 2 350 watt power amps than the 1 1200 watt amp of the ultra. Others on this forum seem to think the Ultra Hi has more punch and headroom than any of Walter's other amps. I just didn't find this to be the case.

2. Interesting. However, I think the stereo can only be bridged into 8 ohms. So I assume you were using an 8 ohm cab. That would result in full power from the stereo model and only partial power from the Ultra Mono (although the total wattage should be about the same in that comparison). That could be the difference that you are hearing.

3. Bassbwithu

Mar 18, 2004
    McKinney, TX
    Actually that is not accurate. You can bridge the WW stereo into 4 ohms. This yields the full 1000 watts. In stereo mode, you can run 4 ohm cabs on either side yielding 350 watts per side.

4. +1.. I see that in my documentation now. I guess that means you can run each side at 2ohms and generate 500 watts, since that's what you are basically doing when bridging into 4ohms.

I had a 1998 Walter Ultra (1000 watt) and upgraded to the 1200 watt model around 2000 or so. There was a significant difference in ooomph and low end punch (even though it still is not that good compared to more traditionally designed amps with much lower rated wattage). So, the point being, there is a LOT of variability in the design and performance of Walter's amps over the 6-8 year period starting in the late 90's. My guess is, that might be what you are hearing.

K

5. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003

You sure the Ultra is an '02? Sounds more like a comparison to a newer Ultra. If what you say were true you would not be owning that stereo model and it would still be mine.

6. Bassbwithu

Mar 18, 2004
    McKinney, TX
    Hehe...yea, I'm positive. Now, they are "voiced" slightly different. The stereo has more high mid info and the ultra has more low mid grunt, but, in terms of sheer volume, the stereo is louder...significantly, I think. I'm pushing my new Ultra '02 way more than I ever did with the stereo. Unfortunately, I had to go through with my trade deal, and I'm left with the Ultra...I suppose worse things have happened :)

7. sixway

sixway

Aug 20, 2006
    Kailua, Hawaii
    Actually, not true, as Walter never recommends running the amp at 2ohms, bridged or not. When bridged, two 8-ohm cabinets, or one 4-ohm cab is the only way to correctly connect to a Woods amp.

However, the Stereo amp (I own one), having two separate amps, can be used to power two cabinets on their own, so one side can run an 8-ohm cab (275watts), and the other can run another 8-ohm (275 watts), or 4-ohm (350 watts) cab, independently of the other. Very versatile amp... just make sure you have good air circulation so the fins can dissipate the heat.

8. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003

I would send your Ultra to Walter to have it checked out, something is not right.

9. Bassbwithu

Mar 18, 2004
    McKinney, TX
    I don't think so. Amps don't just work kind of right...especially mono amps. If they're working, they're working. Bridged, I think the stereo is a louder amp. The ultra has some other mojo happening tonally though.

10. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    I have owned several of both amps and have never come to the same conclusion you have. I also disagree with your "don't just work kind of right" statement. It would be worth sending it to Walter to have checked out.

11. Bassbwithu

Mar 18, 2004
    McKinney, TX
    Ok...spoke to Walter today and should make this post right. The pot values on the stereo and ultra are very different. He said, in the end, the ultra is louder, but if both amps are set exactly the same (not cranked all the way however), it's possible that the stereo may be louder. He's a very impressive guy by the way. just brilliant.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021