Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Walter Woods Ultra High Amp with Eden & Epifani Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GeorgeG, Aug 29, 2005.

1. GeorgeG

GeorgeG Commercial User

Jun 15, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner of Bass Gear Direct
    Hi,
    Has anyone had any experience with this WW amp playing thru Eden 210 Cabs XLT & XST or Epifani cabs. I would be interested in your thoughts and any advice or opinions. Also which cabinet would be regarded as a better match.
    GeorgeG.

2. The WW sounds pretty good through everything (although there are other heads that I prefer for certain styles of music). I greatly prefer Epifani cabs to EdenXLT with the WW (and in general... hence I do have some bias here you should be aware of), due to sound (more upper mids, open lows and a sweeter treble response) than the EdenXLT's (more mid hump), and of course, the incredible light weight of the UL line, but that's personal opinion... all three (XLT, XST and Epi) are great cabs. I have played out of the XST line, but not with the Walter.

Of all the cabs I've used my WW Ultra with, I thought the EdenXLT matchup was the 'least pleasant'.... something about the tone signature of those cabs seemed to be overly accentuated by the Walter (i.e., a slight lack of low bass, a little too prominent mid hump, and a slight harshness in the treble range)... however, again, it's not that it didn't sound good... I just thought the EdenXLT cabs sounded much better with an Eden head.

Just to put this in perspective, I thought the GoliathIII/Walter matchup was great sounding (I used that matchup for a couple of years.. although it was the 410... the GIII 210 is not in the same league as the three cabs you are asking about regarding volume, low end and projection, IMO)... the somewhat scooped nature of that cab seemed to balance out the very 'flat' Walter. Therefore, I would think the XST line of Eden cabs (which to my ear moves them a little closer to the SWR sound profile) would sound very good with the WW.

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I haven't tried mine with any Eden cabs, but I was amazed at how good my WWU sounded driving two Epifani T-112's.

Tom.

4. +1 When you look at older NAMM pictures of the Epi booth, Nick and the boys always had their cabs powered by a WW... and guys like Mike Pope and Richard Bona use (or have used) that combo.... very, very nice IMO. Also, when you figure that the Epi410UL weighs less than the EdenXST210.... :D

5. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    That is an amazing statistic. Let's all just sit back and reflect on that one for a moment...

:eek:

Wow.

Tom.

6. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    This is a really great sounding and highly portable rig. I sold my 112's a few years ago and now I'm regretting it. I'm probably going to go back to using my WWU and two 112UL's for my "portable" rig and reserve the Whappo/Demeter rig for bigger shows.

You can't go wrong with Epi gear paired with a WWU.

7. I really want a VW amp to drive my Epifani 1x12's! :bassist:

There is one on ebay but it's buy it now for $ 2795 and that's alot of coins :(

8. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I just can't agree with you fine gents. I was very frustrated
    when trying to use a WW ultra with a single Epi 112UL, or a
    210UL. The mids and highs were wonderful, but the low end
    just wasn't there at all like the Euphonic Audio amps. The
    WW was fine hearing it in a controled environment like at
    home, but when I got this amp/speaker combo around other
    instruments I just wasn't happy enough to spend thousands
    on a Woods for my Epi's. Your milage may vary.

9. +1, but that's a different question! I think we were answering the specific 'what's a better cab for the Walter', not 'is the WW the best head for those cabs' :D

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    oh thank you, B, for chiming in,

the GAS was nearing my boiling point! :eek:

:smug:

11. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i really havent gotten a chance to use WW amps much, but every time i have they sounded fantastic no matter what cabs they were going thru.

at mike punicella's (sp?) booth at the pa guitar show he had a ww and a bag end 210 coax cab. sounded huge. I think the poor guy got more props on his rig than his basses (and they are nice basses btw)

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    pretty sure this is lincoln goines very setup.

13. I also saw a picture of him somewhere playing a WW and a 310UL. He's a wonderful player... his work (and tone) on the new Bill Conners CD (return) is stunning

14. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Overall, one of the best sounding rigs I ever used in a medium/small club was a WWU driving an Epi T-112 and Bergie HT112. Wonderful.

15. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Yup. As good as the two T-112's sounded, the T-112/HT112 combination is really something special. Hmmm... I still haven't tried two T-112's and two HT112's at a gig yet... :D

As for the WWU versus iAMP 800, I agree that the iAMP generally has tighter and more full lows that the WWU, but for whatever reason, I find that to get the tone to my liking, I have to do a lot more tweaking on my iAMP 800 when I use Epifani cabs than I do with other cabs. Also, the WWU just seems to sound great set flat with the Epi cabs. So, ideally I would love to have the solid lows out of my iAMP 800 coming through my WWU, but on the whole, I am really happy with how the WWU sounds driving either two T-112's or the T-112/HT112 combo (or a host of other cab combinations, for that matter).

Tom.

16. GeorgeG

GeorgeG Commercial User

Jun 15, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner of Bass Gear Direct
    Thanks Everybody for all your opinions and ideas. Really appreciated. It sounds like the Epi's are the things to go for.
    GeorgeG.

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    funny,

but this afternoon, i went into Nick's shop to have my UL502's DI modded for phantom safeness, and guess who i literally ran into? :smug:

he's a lot thinner in person, but i was like, "HOLY CRAP, its lincoln goines!" :D in hindsight, i guess i shoulda stuck around to ask him what he preferred, but oh well... :meh: