Walter Woods Ultra - In Da House!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Big String, Nov 4, 2003.

1. Received my new Walter Woods Ultra last Thursday and I'm very impressed. It's way smaller than one can imagine even though I knew the dimensions ahead of time. Sounds marvelous through the Bergantino HT/EX112 combo, and is also very immpressive through the Berg NV610! I'm waiting for a Radial JDI to come so I can gig the rig wit the Band. Which leads me to a question or two.

Should I...hook up
    2.Bass, WWU,JDI/mixer

The woods has the DI out and pre/off/post switch.

I imagine both hookups will work just fine, I fancy #2 because I like going straight into my amps, but I don't know if the signal would be better to the mixer via #1.
  2. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Congrats Big String! I typically use #1 when gigging with an amp and PA. I find that with my countryman, putting it before my amp sounds no different then straight into the amp because it is very transparent. I think you would find the same thing with the JDI.
  3. HiYa Met, thanks for the reply.
    Just a note about your Countryman. If I'm not mistaken that DI is active and has no isolation transformer in it. In the Woods breif manual, it states to use a passive DI and if you choose and active type DI is should be equipped with and "isolation transformer", to prevent 60hz problems etc. Obviously this is not a problem for you but I thought I would mention it.

The reason I'm leaning toward #2 is because I am a on stage neat freak and hate to many cables etc. under me. I figure by using #2 I would keep most of that in the amp/cab area. :rolleyes:
  4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Unless you will be using both channels, there's little reason to place the DI after the amp (regardless of the DI switch setting).
  5. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Your right the countryman is active and has no transformer. Ive never had a problem with 60 cycle though. I think the active circuits will have a buffer circuit in them which acts similar to the transformer in that it prevents loading but Im not sure about isolation. Actually thats all a good DI is... a signal buffer! :cool: I think either config would work well for you.
  6. Thanks Guys.
    After a quick chat with Mr. Woods, he did confirm that either way was great. He contends that by taking the signal from the amp to the DI is part of the design options of course. He stated that it's mostly if someone wanted the choice of having the amps eq in the mix. There would be no signal difference in going before the amp or using the "pre" and going after the amp. Another plus would be if I wanted to cut the signal to the mixer real quick I would just put the toggle in the off or in between position and would just have the amp for tuning etc. There is no mute on the Woods. Mostly I like the idea of going straight into the amp from my bass and having all the other stuff behind the cab etc.

Note: The Woods does not have a lot of extras like tuner out, XLR/DI out, Speakon's, mute, etc., but what a fan-freakin-tastic little amp. It's so clean and warm and the eq is very usable. I think I'm going to hang on to this one for a long time. (famous last words) :D
  7. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    Congrats on joining the Wonderful World of Walter Woods amps. Chances are you will have this amp for a long time. Hauling around 7 lbs will spoil you in a hurry. I've owned WW amps since 1980 and have always have had at least one in my arsenal(presently at 4, was 5 til I sent Brian one today). Great choice of cabs also.:bassist:
  8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Yo, BigString! We really do need to get together sometime so that I can try your WW and your Bergies, and you can try my iAMP 800, EA and Epi cabs!

We seem to be travelling down the same path in parallel universes... ;)

Later, Tom.
  9. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    When you guys do that, post the results, 'kay?;) :bassist:
  10. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Walter Woods and Berg 112's; the ultimate gigging rig!:bassist:

I must admit that I'm jealous. The Woods Ultra is amazing. Congrats.
  11. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hey Big String, that's a tiny little amp. Why don't you send it over to me and I'll upgrade you to a nice SVT or something!

Seriously, you're making me drool. I have an M-100 and it gets to drive as many Stewart 2.1's as may be needed for a given gig.

So yours is the one with the blue light, right?

Where's your master volume with the Berg? (just curious:))
  12. Yep it's a great little amp.

Need-Thanks. Right now ones is enough for me, did you ever do both your cabs with the Bassline stuff? I bought some, just have not installed yet.

Tom-Definatley Parallel Universes. I'm Northwest In. Come on down!

Rich-I'm workin' on it.

Em-Thanks it's (French accent) Superb! Don't be jealous, just break out the card man. (small Devil on your shoulder)

Non-No SVT's for me, too old :bawl:
    Ya, my drool glands have dried up for awhile.
    Yep, "Blue Light Special", it's the Ultra 1200 juicy watts into 4ohms, 800w into 8ohms.
    Master Vol is on 6.

According to manual
    "Post Gain Knob is active and provides 0dB to 14dB of amplification from 6 to 10. A setting of 6 is equivalent to a passive "master volume" setting of 10. Therefore, a maximum setting of 6 will be more than adequate for most situations. Higher settings will be advantageous if:
    1. Channel 1 and 2 sends are Y'd together.
    2. Effects are lossy and volume is reduced with their usage.

My own understanding of this is, I always run my power amps all the way up, so if 6 = 10 I'm a ten guy and then I set my gain, which so far varies on my passive and active. Also I have not gigged out yet with the rig. With the Bergs you can and need to pump the bass pretty much and then WOW! I sat down the first time to hold on to my butt since my hands were busy playin' my bass. :D
  13. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Congrats, Big.

I would love to hear you at a gig with that rig.

I'm sure more details will follow after gigging it, right?
  14. You Bet LoF,
    I'm just loving it so far. I've been sitting learning some favorite Chuck Rainey/Steely Dan stuff and my Lakland Passive Joe Jazz bass just sounds absolutley superb. That bass has a soul and the rig really brings it out. I love it, it makes even average Ol' Me sound good! :D
  15. walnut

May 25, 2002
    How long did it take?
    When did you order?
    Just curious cuz I'm waiting for mine.
  16. I called in to order and fell right into a cancelation with no reserve names ahead of me. About one month. I'm pretty sure Mr. Woods goes right on down the line. He is a one man operation. Beyond that I wasn't going to question anything. All I can tell you is it's worth the wait. I was extremely lucky, but I would have waited 6 months or more if I had to. ;)
  17. Walter Woods Ultra, Radial JDI, Bergantino HT/EX112, Auralex Gramma Pad, Lakland Joe Osborn Passive Bass.

I was in gear heaven! Absolutley BUTT-Kickin little rig. My band joked at me all night about the new "little" amp. I joked (not really) back about keeping their beer bottles way far from my rig....worst nightare because the amp is not in a rack case. We had some guest players come up and I got to hear my rig for about fifteen minutes out in the audience. The bassist used his own bass, Fender MIA Jazz, it sounded really nice. The first set we had a problem with our subs cutting out and I simply moved to the side of my rig. My wife said the bass still sounded great. I had the Woods pretty cranked but that is what it can do well. Master on 6, pregain on 6, bass on 7, treble on 6.5, mids on 6.5 @ 500hz. Sweet! :D
  18. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    No, he doesn't. Or at least in your case, he didn't. Some people wait a year or so and others, like you, have lucked out and scored right away.

However, my own personal aggravation aside, his amps have a well-deserved reputation for excellence. Walter is a good guy, no question about it. And, as can be observed by playing through one of his amps, something of a genius. Enjoy the amp.
  19. OK.
    My experiance was great, sorry if yours was not.
    I am very lucky on all counts.
  20. scott reed

scott reed Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2002
    Just got off the phone with Walter and here is the
    latest from the lab:
    Only three models are available within six weeks
    to three months. The Super(amber) and Ultra(blue)
    two channel mono amps and the Hi(green) two
    channel stereo amp. The Lo(red) power amps have
    been discontinued (mono and stereo). The Hi(green) mono will take up to a year because of the
    demand for the Super and Ultra.
    Walter no longer accepts deposits - you get on the
    list. You take your chances but I've been a
    customer for twenty-five years and I've been
    treated better by Walter than any other amp
    manufacturer. At least he doesn't take your money
    up front a year in advance. As for availability,
    the man is busy assembling amps by himself as
    well as testing the parts that go into them.
    My WW amps range from a couple of 100-4's from
    the early 70's to an Ultra Electroacoustic model.
    I've made a career and a living with those amps
    and I'm glad others are too!