Walter Woods Ultra Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Big String, Feb 2, 2005.

1. I would like to know the best way to run just the WWU pre amp section into my CA9. For this reason I would be able to run different configurations of cabs. Right now I am restricted to running a minimum 4ohm load which in most cases is plenty.

I do know that when running just the preamp section of this fine amplifier that the MASTER or MASTERS must be off completely so there is no load on the power section. Now, do I simply run the signal from the line-out 1/4" jack to the input of the CA9 and select the Pre on the toggle swtich, or would I be better off running the signal out of the 'send' on the loop (which I'm currently using for my rack tuner).

Also, the 'send to mix' knob aka the 'magic knob', does this affect the line-out or just the loop for it's intended purpose.

I'm still learning what this little amp can do so sorry for what I should probably already know...

As far as my JDI (DI) that I'm currently running from the line-out.. I can easily change that to the front of the signal and plug the bass right into it.
  2. I got a voicemail back from Mr. Woods.

There are two correct ways to run the WWU to a slave amp.

A. Run out of the 'send' to the slave amp input.
    B. Run out of the 'direct-out' to the slave amp input. Make sure the 'pre' is selected on the toggle.

NOTE: Just to be safe make sure the Gains on the Slave amp are OFF until everything is connected.

As I stated and WW verified, the Masters (Post Gain) MUST be off when no speaker is connected to the WWU, or damage can occur.

Rack Tuner:
    A. Get the signal from the direct-out, with the 'pre' selected on the toggle.
    B. Get signal from send.
    C. Use "Y-cord" from Bass to both inputs of WWU. Second Channel send to tuner.

This means I will have to run my DI from the very front of the signal which is no big deal.

In regards to the 'send-mix' this funtion only has an affect on the signal to the speaker only that is connected to the WWU output, not the line/direct-out.
  3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Thanks for sharing the information from Walter. I was wondering what the "definitive word" would be on your question. The only time that I have used the WWU to slave an amp, I used the Send output, and it worked great. I did have my Master turned off, but that was as much by habit as anything (as I always turn it all the way down before turning my amp off).

Are you just doing this for testing purposes, or do you plan on gigging out with a slaved power amp? If the latter, are you going to use an external amp (CA9, right?) in addition to the WWU's amp (meaning, that you are driving at least one cab with the WWU) or instead of the WWU's amp?
  4. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Hi Big String. If it's speaker coverage you need, have you considered running your cabs in series? I had a series cable made that allows me to run two 4-ohm cabs (at 8 ohms), or two 4-ohm cabs + one 8-ohm cab (at 4 ohms). Also, maybe the Speakermate could help in this case too, they actually work great!

Of course, I guess the obvious solution is to buy another Ultra and run them together at 2400 watts :D

Hope this helps (at least the first paragraph ;))
  5. Hey Guys. Well I got home and tried it all out. Of course everything works as WW said it would. Actually what WW first told me was; as Tom said; to use the 'send' to the slave amp input would work the best and it truly does.

When I tried the direct-out w/the pre toggle engaged it worked but sounded compressed and funky. Running it this way bypassed the whole preamp which I don't understand why. My Sadowsky bass onboard was the preamp and the slave amp (CA9) was the Master.

I think the artist's name is Mike Pope was quoted in Bass Player that he ran his onboard pre in a Fodera straight into the return and bypassed the WWU pre all together, that I understand would work because WW told me that the amp is designed to take a very hot signal from the on boards etc. enough to drive the amps power section.

Anyway the SEND is definately the BEST way to run a signal to the Slave and it still allows me to either DI out of the direct-out or signal to the rack tuner.
  6. Tritone

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    That's good info to know, because I occasionally have outdoor gigs where I need to move some air just to hear myself. I'm eventually gonna be in the same boat as you!
  7. Hey Tom
    Yes just havin' fun learning different ways to utilize the gear and I plan on slaving with the Crest for some more and different Mojo with more cabs or what ever. :D

I could just use the WWU pre and run a lot of speaker arrangements or as you said use both power sources. Just checking out my options.

After speaking with Jim Bergantino and discussing some other options I was looking into, like more gear, to cover certain venues etc., Jim suggested I try adding a little 80 to 100hz to my stage mix to add some of that lower mid-bass bootay which helps dig in more in a dense mix that I usually have. Since the WWU lowest setting in the mids is 100hz I spun the 'vari knob' all the way to the right and added a little. I was impressed by this eq setting and will test this very soon on the live gig coming up. The mini's really seem to jump out with even more of a definate kick in the pants low bark. Check it out WWU fans.
  8. Tritone,
    That's very intersting about the series cables. Thanks.
    Question though, I really don't think I would benefit by bringing the load to 8ohms though I would be pushing more air.

I have to say the CA9 really packed a huge whallop and the WWU pre section was very clean and versitile as usual. I'm not sure I like it any better than my Demeter 201s but with that pre it's hard to dial in any real specific setting and you just have the 60 or 120hz selector which I have found not to be enough even though I'm a novice tweaker. Makes me almost re-think my taste for the Dem HPB1 with it's bass orientated eq.
  9. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I usually run four Bag End cabs in series-parallel with my WWU. There are two "mini-stacks", consisting of a 15 and a 12 each. The two min-stacks are wired in parallel, but each 12 and 15 is wired in series. That's an 8 ohm load, so it won't draw the full power out of the WWU. But, it sounds pretty darn good. And, the headroom usually isn't an issue. :)
  10. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Did you not like the HPB1 before? Just curious, as I have considered pulling the trigger on the HPB1 numerous times. You might also consider adding something like a Raven Labs True Blue EQ to your 201s. I just bought a True Blue from a fellow TBer, and I am very impressed with it.
  11. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    For those of you using series/parellel arrangements, I am familiar with how to accomplish this, but I am wondering if you are making your own custom cables, or if there are any quality cable manufacturers out there that will produce the necessary product.
  12. Hiya Non
    I was waiting for you to hopp on board. I remember you commenting on you rig a while back that got a lot of attention. That explains how you can use all those cabs, very cool. I don't think I want to modify my Bergs though. Ideally, I would like to be able to run 3 or 4 Bergies and to my knowledge the only way (without changing the impedence value) is to slave, that is if I want to use the WWU. I think some of the magic with the Mini Bergs is the total package of the HT/EX and the 4ohm load, so I don't know if a modification is the best for this rig... however I am still impressed with one Bergie 8ohm and the WWU in a smaller enviroment. If I missed something please feel free to comment. Somtimes I need a picture rather than a 1000 words... :D
  13. Tom
    I actually owned a Dem HPB1 and sent it back shortly after a/b-ing with the 201s. At the time I was a very impatient tweaker and found it not plugNplay enough for me. The WWU eq is more 'intuitive' to me, but now I wish I would have given the Hybrid Dem a better chance. I kept reading how many people had problems with that unit is another reason I felt I didn't need to keep it. I guess since they have tweaked out the bugs. I'm kinda waiting in the wings as there are so many new 'Bass' preamps coming out. I'm not saying I'm tired of my 201s I just might put it in semi-retirement for a while and concentrate on my WWU.

I am currently liking the idea of seperating my CA9 in it's own rack any maybe building a "preamp rack" with several different pre's to play with. I would someday like to try FX1, Kern, Raven Labs Universal, Navigator, and more. And now .. a cry for :help:
  14. Tritone

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America

Hi Tom, I had mine made here (I can't solder well enough to save my life....):
  15. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Thanks! I am not too hot (ba dump bump!) with a soldering iron, myself...
  16. pjhandlin

pjhandlin Gold Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Tried this out today at home, and I think it did help thicken the Berg 112's tone. Good recommondation from the source himself. Thanks Big.