Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Walter Woods Ultra users - pregain setting

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jerry J, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Just a quick unofficial poll.

Where do you usually set your pregain?

I'm refering to an active bass. I know that it is going to vary with what the output of your bass is. I'm spoiled with an LED to guide me on my other amps.

2. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    About 1 o'clock.

3. I probably need to do some more experimenting but I usually set mine (with Sadowsky basses) at around 11:00 and master on 12:00 to 1:00. Walter himself told me "you should never have to turn the master above 1:00, 2:00 tops. Now with my passive bass the pre goes about 12:00 - 1:00.

For some reason almost all the amps/preamps I've ever used, I end up liking the lower pre setting and the higher master setting. I am aware of the signal to noise ratio thing and getting you highest settings off the pre and then adding the master to volume needed, but this is what I usually end up with as stated above.

4. pjhandlin

pjhandlin Gold Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    My favorite settings are the same as Big String:

Pre: around 10-11:00 and then vary the master as needed: 9-11:00/active and 10-1:00/passive with my Sadowsky. Running my Sad mostly passive these days though.

Hard to say exactly why I have come to prefer these settings, I dont have exact words to describe the differences.

At my gig tonight I will do some experimenting and get a more definitive viewpoint to share with everyone here.

5. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Wow, so you guys are running the pregain that high? And Boogie, you are running your active basses in the passive setting?

There is a lot of stuff going on with this amp. I'm currently working through the different basses to see where everything sounds the best. It all sound magnificent but I'm trying to find a common ground for the active basses. It is tough since the different bass preamps have varying outputs to the WW. I'm just trying not to overdrive the front end.

6. Sadowskys have a pretty hot signal and what I said was the setting for a very loud gig set at 10 - 11 o'clock. Watch out for those 18v pres... yikes.

On my Demeter 201s I had to lower the internal master gain in the pre in order to play my Sads... I had boosted it prior to getting them and liked it with my passive Lakland with Lindy Fralins. The Fralins are actually pretty hot wound passive pups too.

7. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    More or less, yeah. Of course, it depends on the bass. Sometimes lower....

8. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Thanks guys! ;)

I haven't gotten to plug in the Sadowsky yet. Just the Zon, the BN5 and the Geddy Lee. And so far just the Epifani 310 and the Bag End D12 cabs.

It's not hard to get a phenominal tone but just working out things. Thanks for the help.

9. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    In the 5 minutes that I got to play mine today.... :rolleyes:

I think I was running mine straight up at 12:00, and that seemed to be waaay fine. Unbelievable quality of sound...

And man, these Ultra's get LOUD!!!!! I had NO idea....

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    With active basses, I set the pre gain somewhere between 9:00 and 11:00 (usually about 10:00). Master is normally at noon or less, though I have had it as high as 2:00, which is, indeed, stupid loud.

11. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    This seems to be where I've had mine set mostly. But I haven't tried anything above 10:00 on the Master. And I was getting major pant flap with my Epifani 310. :eek:

12. Tritone

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Walter told me that I would probably never need to turn the master up over 1 o'clock. He sure doesn't exaggerate does he! :D

13. Walter told me the same, yeah I already got mine yesterday :D :D
    I keep the pre and post gain @ 12 o' clock and use the volume knob(s) on my basses for adjustment, it's just wonderful :cool: :cool: :cool:

14. Welcome back to Walter World. :)
    No, I didn't say Wally World Guys ... :D

15. Thanks, Dean;

good to be back :D

16. Tritone

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    You realize of course, that we're all gonna expect a full WWU/1210 review! :D

Congrats!!

Michael

17. I'll post a review after Namm when some new gigs are coming up. But honestly, you already did a pretty good job. :)

18. Tritone

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Thanks!! I'm going up there on Thursday, so i'll stop by and put a face to the name! :D

19. Looking forward meeting you in person :)