Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

walter woods ultra

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by khigg, Oct 18, 2004.

1. khigg

khigg

Oct 18, 2004
    i have a bergantino ht 322 and am looking for a light weight high power head. is this the way to go??

any for sale out there??

2. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
  3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    If you can afford it, yes. IMO.

Seldom see them used and when you do, they go for almost as much as a new one. Call Walter if you're serious.

I've used the WWU with a Bergantino HT322 and it's a killer combination in a medium-sized room and outdoors.

4. Anyone have any rack ears for the WWU they don't need?
    Last time I spoke with Walter he was out for an extended period. Thanks.

5. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    I have one set but wasn't planning to get rid of them anytime soon. I'll let you know if I change my mind.

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    cant go wrong with a dubyadubya.

but, if you play lots of different rooms, and want a more extensive EQ section, EA iAMP-800.

IMHO, Berg gear and EA gear go hand in hand like cheeseburgers and fries.

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I would have to agree on all counts - although when it comes to just a single "dubya", my opinion will vary greatly! ;)

Either a Wally Ultra or an iAMP 800 would push an HT322 quite well, IMHO.

8. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    How does the WWU do with your Bergs, now that you have a set? Would you say the IAmp is preferable because of it's thicker low end, or that the WWU is just so delicious in the upper mids and highs that it gets the nod?

I'm dead set on a Focus as of right now, but am still tantalized by the respective strengths of the almighty WWU and IAmp 800.

My mentor in NC uses an old WW Lo-Power and a single JBL 1x12 speaker in a home made box...and has the best upright sounds I've ever heard! He also employs a Flite 1x15 and swears by it.

However, I don't think mine is anything to sneeze at with the Clarus/Berg.

Will

9. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Actually, Todd VanSelus still has my WW, and the Bergs came in after I mailed it off to him, so I have yet to try the HT112/EX112 with the Ultra. The iAMP does sound very good with them, though. And I am sure that the Clarus sounds great with them, as well. Ideally, I am going to guess that the Bergies would like a little more juice. But from the little bit that I have played through a Clarus, I am suspecting that the Mini Bergies' natural midrange warmth is a good match for your Clarus.

I will report back once the WWU comes back home.

Tom.

10. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Hmm, maybe that WWU could make a brief stop at my house on its way back from Todd's...WV is pretty much in between NYC and OH ya know...

:D

11. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Perhaps, but Todd is in Seattle...

Still, the way the Brown Truck drives sometimes, it could come through WV!

12. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yes, get a new one. Used prices (on eBay and such) are almost as high as new prices, so you might as well get the warranty. I have an Ultra, which is a great little head, it's pretty much all you'll ever need unless you're playing arenas or you're using those kilowatt subs. Also have an MI-100, and the only reason I kept it is because it has a magic chemistry with one of my F basses, I feed the line out from there straight into the board, and good to go. WW's are very well engineered amps, I've used the Ultra at full volume for 5 hours outdoors in 120 degree heat in the middle of the desert, with no problems and no issues. That's pretty good considering it doesn't even have a fan. Many amps would complain or go belly up under those conditions. :)

13. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    LOL, it's like that scene from Dumb and Dumber...

Lloyd Christmas : What are the chances of a guy like you and a girl like me... ending up together?
    Mary Swanson : Not good.
    Lloyd Christmas : Not good like one in a hundred?
    Mary Swanson : I'd say more like one in a million.
    Lloyd Christmas : SO YOU'RE TELLING ME THERE'S A CHANCE!

14. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Not only that, but the WW is on the brown truck on it's way BACK to Tom!

Sound clips will go up SOON.

15. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Whoo hoo! on both points! :D

16. LowNote

LowNote Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    This thread may have run its course but I thought I would weigh in as an owner of both a Walter Woods Ultra and an Acoustic Image Focus. Both are absolutely fantastic amps and should produce enough power for just about anything that you could throw at them--anything larger would involve major P.A. support. The primary advantage of the WWU is the double pre-amp which makes it wonderful for doubling gigs, allowing separate eq for both a string bass and bass guitar. However, for about half the money and about half the ridiculously low weight of the Ultra, the Focus is a fabulous piece of gear that I find myself taking out most of the time. I guess part of the reason for this is that I have never been able to get really comfortable with how to use the eq controls in the Ultra, and I find the simple four band approach of the Focus to be incredibly simple to use. I've also found the notch filter on the Focus to be very helpful in curing feedback problems that sometimes crop up at high volumes, particularly with my string bass. I run these amps through either an Acme B-1 for low volume gigs or a Schroeder 1212 for high volume gigs and get compliments on my sound on both bass guitar and string bass with any of the above combinations.

Erik Hansen
    Los Angeles

17. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    After listening to the WW Ultra on Basstasters (thanks Vanselus!!) and comparing it to a handful of other amps/preamps it seems to be a step above all the rest in terms of clarity and brightness. Like a bass with old strings was used for all the other sound clips and then a brand new set put on for the WW clips. Is this how the ultra really compares to other amps?

Big String - I know you have a Demeter pre and the Ultra. The clips on BT of the Ultra makes the Demeter sound a tiny bit muffled yet its the brightest, clearest sounding pre Ive ever heard (never heard an Ultra in person) Does a comparison of those clips represent the sonic differences between the two in your experience?

If so then I may have to start saving my Benjamins... :crying: :D

18. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I'd agree with that, the WW seems to be the "stringiest" sounding amp i've ever played, yet very throaty too. In comparison to the Demeter, the WW is much less airy & bright, and is much less smooth. You can really hear what I mean with the MTD clips, since BOTH the WW and MTD emphasize all the upper midrange characters very strongly - slapping the MTD through the WW was ear-shattering. There's a certain "brilliance" to the notes with the WW. If you're looking for that sound, the WW is perfect.

[and before the fourth person asks me, I greatly prefer the iAMP 800 to the WW...]

19. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA

I always find this stuff very interesting. I personally think that the Woods smokes the iAMP in every way. Very interesting indeed. I can't say that the direct clips do the Woods justice by any means. The Woods is definately a bit sterile (stiff sounding) but is extremely versatile. If you like tubes you're probably not going to dig the Woods. Not always true though. I know guys who use it for jazz, fusion, loud rock, blues........you name it really. A couple of those guys were die hard tube amp players. Basically if you want to hear your bass with a very quick response than the Woods is the way to go. Also, I think that it excels in a live situation the most, which is really where it counts. You can't hide a bass in the mix when it's through a Woods. I got to play a Woods through an HT-322 once. It took one note for me to cry out in excitement, really. That setup is just so good. I get a smile on my face thinking about it.