1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

walter woods ultra

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bjazzman, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    where can you go to try these out. i don't think he has a website and i don't know any retailers that have them.

2. You don't. Either you track down a Woods owner near you who has one and ask to try it, or you teake a leap of faith and buy one.

3. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    really?? honestly no dealers?

4. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    No dealers!

5. 64jazzbass

64jazzbass Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2002
    Chicago, Il
    Walter will gladly refund your money if you're not satisfied with the amp, no questions asked.

6. I've spoken with him on the phone once or twice. Great guy, and in my opinion his amps exceed their reputation. I could give you a link to my band's website, which has audio samples I recorded through an older WW, but you'll have to take my word the newer amps smoke the older designs.

7. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    To be honest, there are many who like the older Woods
    sound more than the new. The newer amps have much
    more power but not as much low end as the older models.
    (don't even try to argue)
    The Woods amps with the right speakers are as good as it
    gets, if thats the sound you're after. And yes, Walter is a
    sweetheart. Not much risk in buying one. If you don't like
    the Ultra, you can probably make money selling it.

8. I won't -- my ears tell me the same thing, specifically that my older amp had thicker lows than my new amp.
    What I should have said is that overall, in my opinion, my '98 sounds better than my ex-'86 which had a wonderful if somewhat transistory tone and broke up easier than my new amp. My apologies for any confustion.

9. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    anyone got his phone number?

10. 64jazzbass

Sep 5, 2002
    Chicago, Il
    760-772-7952 For what it's worth, I have a newer Woods and it has more than enough usable lows for any situation. Very musical, tight lows.

11. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    i really liked the sound of the walter woods ultra when i heard it online at www.basstasters.com I heard the sadowsky v5 through the ultra. Do you think having this setup will duplicate the sound i heard or is it going to be impossible since it was someone else playing AND maybe the sound going through his recording console?

12. fretless Bob

fretless Bob If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
    that clip with the Sad sounds fat!!

i would love to pick up a Woods one day, i saw Bona playing a few weeks ago and he was using a ultra, it sounded so great, i was in love with his tone from the start

Dave

13. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    i love that sound too but do you think it can be duplicated?

14. 64jazzbass

Sep 5, 2002
    Chicago, Il
    With the exception of the individual "tone is in the hands" credo, yes, I think it can be duplicated.

15. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    what ultra light cabinet would be a good match for this head?

16. fretless Bob

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
    by ultra light do you mean epifani?

i know that Richard Bona uses a pair of UL112s and sounds great with that rig

Dave

17. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    i thought richard uses an epifani head with his epifani cabs. i have been looking at the ul series though. this might be a good match with the walter woods ultra

18. fretless Bob

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
    on the road he uses the woods for sure, and dont think i have seen him using a 502 on any live performances yet, and im pretty sure on teh Epi it justs list him as using the 112s but not the 502.

im not that it isnt a great head or anything, i own one myself but i think that maybe the woods is more his sound.

i saw hos band a few weekd ago and he was using a WW Ultra with a pair of eden 4x10s and even that sounded amazing, i would love to get my hands on an ultra, let us know how you get on with the rig choices :)

Dave

19. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    i have a berg ip310 which is awesome!! but it's not as light as i thought and i think i might have to experimet with a bunch of different preamps to find a happy medium. The berg ht/ex 112 might be a good option as well as an epifani ul cabinets. Im looking for the best clarity while being able to feel the sound even in the worst of rooms. So far the berg is great for volume but it was kind of bassy in the last room. i changed the pickups and it seemed to help. My only dilema would be that i would have to take a chance and sell the ip310 and get both the woods head, new cabinets, and that sadowsky bass for the sound. Damn there being too many choices out there!!

20. Atually he uses a stereo WW. The one with green light.
    I read in bassplayer that Epifani made Boan a stereo version of the 502. But I think the uses the WW because it so small and light and easy to travel with. Of cause also sounds good!

-Christian