Walter Woods.....Walter Woods

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tom Neves, Mar 16, 2002.

1. Anyone out there using these amps? Your thoughts /opinions?
    All I know is they are hard to get-(long waiting list) Expensive!!!
    A very powerful high quality amp. Light as a feather Etc. Etc.
    How many of you guys have them?
    Any pics? :cool:
  2. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    Some pro player friends use them & I've played through them as well. Most players that use them are electric & acoustic upright players. They don't want any tube in their mix & they want something small.

Can you use them for regular electric bass, absolutely. They are an unbelievable amp, very loud, very small 7 light, very clean & very expensive, but worth it. I wanted one for sometime, but since my bass & cabs are already extermly clean sounding, it's a little to much. However, with the average cabinet, it would sound great. If you ever get a chance to try one, do it.

3. Got an idea of the size from a Google search...
  4. How would you guys compare a Walter Woods sonically to a GK 800rb?
  5. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've owned both, and they're both great amps. IMHO, the Woods is sonically better than the GK. The bass control of the Woods has a rounder low end which I think is set at a slightly lower frequency than the GK (based on my recollection). I sold the Woods back in the mid 80s, big mistake.

The Wood's treble and mid control also carry alot of total possibilities. Turning the nob just a 1/8 of a turn will cause a big change in tone.

I noticed that the Woods is preferred by many jazz upright bassists. It also sounds great with electric basses.

The only cons is that they are hard to find if you live far from the manufacturer & if you need servicing, you may need to send it back, etc.

I look forward to reading other posts, it's been a long time since I played through a Woods.
  6. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I Just bought a ultra high power walter woods a aguilar 900tube DI and a pair of bergantino 112 cabs. this is my new really small doubling rig . this rig is tiny! I can fit every thing I need in a little samsonite lap top bag and its really loud.

woods come in different models in 8/4 ohm configerations theres a 120/200 watt model and 300/450,450/650,/800/1200 models they all wiegh in at 6 1/2 to 7 1/2 pounds and have the same nobs and stuff.

I chose the woods because its built like a tank , they have a reliable rep ,has two imput channel imput so I can eq for the electric and upright differently.I bought the ag DI to use in the electrics chain to add a little life to what I think is a sterile sounding amp and to use with a PA. Lot of folks use a sans amp with these.

Hope this helps

7. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    I've personally been interested in these amps for years but have never had the opportunity to try one out (or even see one in person, for that matter). How does one go about getting hold of one? He doesn't use a dealer network, does he?
  8. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Woods amps are available only directly from Walter Woods. He hand builds every amp.

I had a 100 watt 2 channel Woods and it was a very good sounding amp but a bit underpowered for my use and so I sold it. I would certainly not call the Woods tone "sterile" or "overly bright". It is the best sounding solid state preamp that I've heard.

Woods amps are very popular with upright players because they have a fairly hi fi tone that works well with upright bass. I probably would have kept my Woods amp if it had been at lease 300 watts.

9. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I have a friend who has a 300/450 watt model so I was able to deside I wanted one based on borrowing his.
    I called walter five months ago and resieved it 3 weeks ago so it took him 4 months.

10. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    Andrew, could you please email me contact info for Walter Woods? Phone number, email address, whatever you may have?

I'd be most appreciative.
  11. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
  12. stroy05

stroy05 Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Basses, Noble Amps, Aguilar Amps, JHAudio Inears
    here is the setup i had...this is the ultra high power amp 1200 watts at 4 ohms[​IMG]
  13. pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Jesus Christ stroy05! Thats an amazing rig. (Pedro sincerely impressed and jealous.) FWIW I heard Lincoln Goines at the 55Bar this past fall playing with Mike Stern and he was using a Walter Woods and it sounded absolutely amazing. Warm, fat and very articulate. I'd love to have one.
  14. boobinga

Feb 9, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Sorry I don't have any photos to download, but I've also got Walter's Ultra. I use mine with an Eden 4x10XLT and sometimes a vintage JBL 15. The amp set-up I had before this was the Demeter pre and the Stewart 2.1. I much prefer the Ultra Wally. I find it warm, clean and capable of a huge variety of sounds. I've had mine about a year, and the wait was about 3 months.
  15. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    A few months ago I got my WW 300/450 watt amp. It's the High Power model and I can't say enough good things about it. It's the only amp I've found that sounds PERFECT running totally flat. I'm able to hear every note I play.
    As far as sound - I'd say it doesn't really sound like anything. It doesn't really color the tone at all, like other amps I've had (SWR, Trace). It really sounds like whatever bass you plug into it. After all, we spend thousands on basses, it's only right to have an amp that lets *that* tone come through.

They are expensive, but I don't regret it one bit. I smile everytime I am playing a gig and get to carry my 7 1/2 pound amp inside a Mouradian WW Bag...I don't miss the 55 pound Trace head at all!
  16. extreme

Mar 20, 2000
    Any of you WW users had a chance to check out an Acoustic Image Clarus? Any comments regarding these two heads?
  17. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    This amp was listed on Bassgear recently. I don't know if it's still available though:

FOR SALE: Walter Woods amp
    Posted: : 03/13/2002
    Category: Bass Amps
    Condition: Mint
    Asking Price: $1000

Walter Woods 2 channel amp with 225/350 watts. Made in 1993 and in perfect condition. $1000 firm.

FULL NAME: Steve Azola
    PHONE: 760-789-8581
    CITY, STATE: Ramona CA
  18. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    I'm wondering about the power output of WW stuff. Does these compare similarly to other amplifiers in the same category...i.e. WW=350w vs. SWR/Eden 350w, etc.?
  19. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    The Clarus sounds Great on double bass id give it the edge over the ww in a low volume acoustic situation. On the electric I feel their even until you get into volume/headroom issues then my (or any of the higher powered woods )would crush it.

I chose mine because I wanted one box that could do allmost everything.I chose power and head room over low volume control (with just the upright in a amp is there to reinforce the acoustic bass its hard to turn the volume nob at all and not be to loud) Im gonna buy a five string electric soon and that had something to do with the desision. In the end one box cant do everything my choice was trying to get as close a possible for my applications.

theres a rumor of a 600 watt at 4 ohm acoustic image comming out if it has 2 imput chanels it may cast dought on my desision but given that whe woods has been around and proven for a long time that still would have swayed me.

the woods are rated conservitally

sorry about the spelling

20. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts

You're extremely lucky if you got one in 5 months...I ordered a new 300/450 model (I heard he builds mostly the 1200 watters these days) almost a year ago and Walter called just last week to apologize he's WAY behind schedule due to receiving a batch of bad parts.

Mike Childree,

My 225/350 watt Woods replaced a 225/400 watt AMP head and I find it easily as loud, I feel his ratings are accurate. There was a review of one of Walter's amps in Guitar Player back in the 80s; on the bench, they discovered it put out about 50% more wattage at clipping than it was rated for (i.e. the 100/150 model tested out at 150/200 watts at clipping).

As others have noted the EQ is very sensitive and is more "musical" to my ears. How about a bass control that fattens your G string or a mid control that brings out the body of the bass rather than just fret noise and "ping".

Tom Neves,

Compared to a GK 800RB the Woods is much fatter and rounder souding. The GK is a nice sound, especially for electric, but seems to my ears a brighter, tighter sound.

I don't know if I would really call my Woods "hi fi" because in fact mine seems a tad compressed (which gives it a tubey vibe) and (on the older ones anyway) the two channels sound different. I've even heard one player sitting in on my rig get Felix Pappalardi like grunts out of it, it sounds and feels to me a lot like a tube amp. I think Walter just worked out a very good voicing and by hand building the amps and matching components he's able to get that sound more consistently than a mass produced amp could.

The Woods amps do have their own idiosyncracies; my one beef is lack of an XLR direct out (so I have to keep a DI box in my gig bag). But it's easy to put up with the quirks and the cost once you have that EQ and the tiny package.