Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WalterWoods 100watts 8oms

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Grooveman, Dec 10, 2001.

1. I need a compact cabinet 12 or 2x10s or 15 that I can put on a dolly and take with me on the subway. I would use my walterwoods ( which I think makes any speaker sound great). Im playing both electric 4 string and upright. I am leaning to the 2x10s but any opinions on the comparison of the different cab is welcome. I have no dealers in Tokyo that have bagends to try out...
    Thank you

2. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    I own the same Walter Woods amplifier. I have tried it with a variety of speaker cabinets. I am currently enjoying the Woods head with two Euphonic Audio CxL-110 cabinets.

I decided to buy a pair of 1x10 cabinets to maximize my flexibility. A single CxL-110 (8-ohm) gives me enough volume for a jazz gig in a small room. Both CxL-110 cabinets give a total load of 4 ohms, which the amplifier will drive at about 200 watts. That gets pretty loud. The EA CxL-110 cabinets weigh about 34 lbs each (15.5 kg for the rest of the world), so you could pull a pair of them with the Woods head on a good luggage cart.

Another alternative would be a single EA CxL-210 cabinet. I did not go with that because of the 8-ohm load.

Other cabinets that I have tried with the Woods include:
    * Eden D-210MBX "wedge" -- lighter than the full-size D-210XLT but very loud with just the 100W. Sound was more aggressive than I wanted.
    * Hartke 210TP -- This is light for a 2x10 and I liked the tone at lower volumes. However, it broke up in an unpleasant way when pushed. One might try the 210XL.
    * Bag End S15-C -- an older cabinet which is similar to the S15-D. For me, sounds too muddy by itself. I would rather go for the S15X-D, which has a coaxial tweeter.

3. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    If weight is of primary concern, you might try Flite cabinets. I have not used one, but have read some good things about them on the Internet.

Flite sound website

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I'm currently using an Epifani T-112 with a Woods head and have lugged it on a luggage cart for a few gigs.

It's smaller and lighter than either the Peavey 2-10 or the Acme B2 cabs I used to own yet does not lack in terms of overall tone or volume.

I use it for both upright and electric bass.