Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Waltz For Debby"

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bassman_Spike, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Hi

Im going to be doing this piece for my end of year exam because i dont have a Jazz piece yet. I know it was done on double bass but it is in the electric bass silibus of songs.

The title of the music i have says "Scott LaFaro's Solo On "Waltz For Debby" (from Bill Evans' LP "The Village Vanguard Sessions")

I have a recording of waltz for debby but the bassline doesnt seem to match with what the music is notated as. I also did a search for both Waltz For Debby and Scott LaFaro on TB and found someone saying that "The Village Vanguard Sessions" is a live album, the recording i have is studio done.

So is this a live version of the song?
    Does anyone have this version of the song?
    and if you do
    Have you heard other recordings and are they much different?

So tell me if im going bonkers on this, but it really is a different bassline, unless im listening for the wrong spot.

I will post this in Double Bass as well to hopefully get some more responses.

And i can post a sample of the music i have to if that might help.

Thanks

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Sunday At The Village Vanguard is live.
    Waltz For Debbie, a 'sister album' recorded within the same week or so...I'm drawing a blank on; I will have to take a listen when I get home.

Does www.allmusic.com shed any light?

EDIT-
    AMG sez "Waltz" is also LIVE.

3. Well i think its that one on the "waltz for debby" cd its says that it was recorded at the village vanguard

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I already told him that on the DB side of the forums!! ;)

5. I found the recording i need, thanks for the help guys. :D