"Waltz For Debby"

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Bassman_Spike, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Hi
    Im an electic bassist needing some help from my double bass counterparts, i posted this in the Electric Bass section also hoping for a repsonse to clear up my problem

Im going to be doing this piece for my end of year as exam because i dont have a Jazz piece yet. I know it was done on double bass but it is in the electric bass silibus of songs.

The title of the music i have says "Scott LaFaro's Solo On "Waltz For Debby" (from Bill Evans' LP "The Village Vanguard Sessions")

I have a recording of waltz for debby but the bassline doesnt seem to match with what the music is notated as. I also did a search for both Waltz For Debby and Scott LaFaro on TB and found someone saying that "The Village Vanguard Sessions" is a live album, the recording i have is studio done.

So is this a live version of the song?
    Does anyone have this version of the song?
    and if you do
    Have you heard other recordings and are they much different?

So tell me if im going bonkers on this, but it really is a different bassline, unless im listening for the wrong spot.

And i can post a sample of the music i have to if that might help.

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

The Village Vanguard sessions are famously live and had more than one version of that tune - but hey this is Jazz and there is no reason why a bassline should ever be the same twice!

EDIT - I just noticed you said Scott La Faro's solo - so especially a solo in Jazz is very unlikely to be exactly the same twice and I would be very surprised if it was!

So - a Jazz solo is all about improvising and even on a studio date, it would never be the same as one recorded at another time.

And with live Jazz - that's the real beauty of it - that the same tune never need sound the same twice! ;)
  3. So i should try and get a copy of that album and see if i can find what im looking for?
  4. Oh yeah that problem i have is that for the exams you are given a list of songs to play and you have to play them with the music that is listed in the silibus, so i cant work out the bassline for the version i have because they wouldnt except that.
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Errr....what are you looking for?

The Village Vanguard live sessions are some of the most famous in Jazz and so this is probably what you are talking about?

I have them on two separate CDs - so one of them is called "Waltz for Debby" and has two takes of this of this track - it is widely available - try here :

A "must-own" Jazz CD at £7.99!! :)

6. Scotts bassline on Debbie from the Vangaurd Sessions is the definitive Debbie bass line.....Period.
  7. Bruce Lindfield

I've read this a few times this morning and I only just realised what you mean - so I was reading "Sibelius" - which is a score-writing/midi programme that a lot of Jazz players I know, use for transcribing/writing/printing parts!

So I assumed you must have the sheet music of a transcription of the solo on Sibelius software!! But I can see now that you actually mean "Syllabus"!! :D
  8. Sorry to confuse you Bruce, my spelling isnt my strong point.
    I actually found a recording called Waltz For Debby Take 2 and it has the bassline from the music i have. So I will use that.

Thanks for your help everyone
  9. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Sometimes our learning intitutions can be so bizarre. I've never been to school for music and I don't know what is and isn't "the norm" but shouldn't a "jazz exam" consist of improvising, not mimicking?

That said, it can't hurt to learn such an amazing bassist's lines note for note.
  10. Well its not as such a jazz exam. Its the end of year pratical exam for Year 12 Music. So its really an exam for a subject at school. For the exam you need to play 25mins worth of songs. You can only choose the songs from the sillibus(sp?) or you can send in an application to get another song accepted. There are also certain rules like
    -One song has to be an example of pre twentith centry music
    -At least one song has to be unacompanied
    -No more than for acompanied
    and so on.
    I am trying to pick a broard range of songs, So far I have "Chromatic Fantasy" and "Dune Tune" as unacompanied and some other as acompanied and they are in the jazz/fusion/funk type genres. So Waltz for Debby was more hope for a classic jazz peice.

Hope that all made sense
  11. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I believe that's why I said: