1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wampler Ego Compressor

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Megazap63, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Megazap63

Megazap63

Apr 12, 2009
    London, UK
    Hi all,

I'm after a good Ross-type clone that doesn't roll off the lowest frequencies and can handle a low B well. I've been considering, among others, a Wampler EC. Unfortunately, Bongo hasn't reviewed this (at least its not up on his site), so I was wondering if anyone has some experience/thoughts about it?

The other contender is a Mad Professor Forest Green, which is hideously expensive.

Many thanks, Chris

2. From what I understand the Malekko Omnicron Comp is a Ross Clone and here is a quote from their website
    It's also only a $100.

3. Megazap63

Megazap63

Apr 12, 2009
    London, UK
    Thanks MA, I hadn't thought of the Omnicron but since Malekko make some other very fine pedals I'll put this on the list to consider.

4. Megazap63

Megazap63

Apr 12, 2009
    London, UK
    Hmmm....so it seems that not many (none?) TBers have used this pedal before....that alone could speak volumes.

5. Ba55Man1ac

Ba55Man1ac Gold Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    I've got a Wampler. It's quite good in my books. Very quiet if you don't turn the sustain up too high. The clean blend works well. Doesn't seem to lose lows to my ears. You could do worse...

Now let's never mention it again lest we anger the B man! ;)

6. Megazap63

Megazap63

Apr 12, 2009
    London, UK
    Hi, thanks for your reply - I take it you're pretty happy with it and find it works well for fretless?

You mention 'you could do worse'...what about better? Can you recommend any others worth testing?

The B man?

Cheers, Chris :)

7. Ba55Man1ac

Ba55Man1ac Gold Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Don't own a fretless so can't really comment there. The Wampler is a very "sustainy"/"squashy" compressor, along the lines of Boss CS-3, Jacques Fat Burner, Exar BC-04, etc. I'm a big fan of these types of comp & own & use all of these. The Wampler is the only one with a clean blend which is a good intro into parallel compression.

Read this then fear the wrath of the B man! You've already mentioned his name once, now cower in fear as he approaches... :ninja:

8. MK1

MK1

Nov 23, 2009
    Grand Rapids, MI
    If you can find a used Barge Concepts RC-2or3 (good luck getting a new one), they are probably IMO the best Ross Clone for bass. Look for Bongo's review of it.

9. Megazap63

Megazap63

Apr 12, 2009
    London, UK
    Hi MK 1, thanks for your reply.

I've checked out the venerable Bongo's review and it is the one I'd go for first - if I could find one.

I'll have to say though that the Wampler does look promising in that the blend could be used to compensate for the typical Ross-type loss of low end, by dialling in some unprocessed signal.

If you happen to know of any used (good condition) BC RC2 or 3s up for sale I'd be grateful for a heads-up.

10. Just thought I should mention that since this thread started, Bongo has reviewed the Malekko comp and found that it cuts a lot of lows and highs. I thought I should bring it up since I suggested checking it out.

11. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    I know this is a bit of a zombie thread resurrection, but I bought a Wampler Ego Comp last night and I really like it. No loss on the B and maybe a bit of low end punch enhancement when it's activated. It does get noisy if you turn the sustain up high, but in normal ranges it's quiet. Really nice pedal if you're looking for the type of compression where you can tell a difference when you turn it on.

12. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I agree. :)