Wampler Ego?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by keatz, Jan 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. keatz

keatz

Jan 19, 2011
    Hi, im currently looking at getting a new compressor. I might add, im wanting one with a blend. Been looking at clips and reviews and i really like the cali 76 compact bass, which i can 'almost' afford. Looked at the empress but its a little to bright and clear in the highs for me. Also liking the darkglass, it has the right tone frequency wise that im after but didnt seem to have the same rich tubey character that i loved so much bout the cali(although i have heard ppl say it does, so feel free to comment on that). This brings me to the Wampler Ego. I couldnt find any decent videos on it for bass. I did come across a few quick SoundCloud clips from bass-pedals.com and it sounded VERY promising, the price is a bonus too. But these clips werent really enough to go off for a final decision. I might also add ive already had a SD studio bass in the past that i did like, but my curiosity will not let me get another one without trying others first.
    Can anyone direct me to some better clips of the ego or at least some comparison feedback? Thanks

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  2. You've been to ovnilab.com and read the review?

It's very favourable.

My honest advice is that if you want the Cali- save your money and get a Cali.

Because even if you get this ego, you will still eventually flip it and get the Cali. And wasted your time.

keatz likes this.
  3. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    Basspedals.com has some samples. (Click through using "Next" to get all the pages of samples, w/ the Wampler at a range of settings.)

I have kept a Wampler Ego on one of my live boards for bass b/c it works well for what I want the comp spot in that (synth oriented) board to do.

I like it as well on bass as anything I've tried in its price range (better than the 4-knob Keeley, the MXR M87, the Aguilar, or the EBS Multi-comp). If I were after a classic UREI sound, I'd probably be tempted to pony up the extra coin for one of the Origin Effects pedals. But that's the problem with taking a "no compromise" position on compressor pedals, though—at some point it's tempting just to rack a UA 6176 and call it done.

Back at the budget end of the spectrum, if you grab a Wampler Ego from one of the easy-return online houses, there isn't much risk.

4. keatz

keatz

Jan 19, 2011
    Update:
    After stewing on it for 2 days ive ordered a cali 76 compact bass. I saved $20AUD by getting it shipped from Canada as apposed to the cheapest i could find in Australia.

5. RestlessBoom

RestlessBoom

Oct 1, 2021
    I think you really missed out on the Ego- I’m not a compressor master by any stretch of the imagination, but tone-wise I’d be hard pressed to find a better option than the Ego

6. keatz

keatz

Jan 19, 2011
    I've been through many, many compressors since I started this post haha. Currently rocking a big box Cali76 TX.

Derek Williams likes this.