Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wan Bernadel....

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by deefingers, Feb 10, 2005.

1. deefingers

deefingers Guest

Oct 7, 2003
    Hello members,

I have checked through the old postings here and I was just curious if anybody else has purchased a Wan Bernadel Bass. To the members who have owned the Wan for a while, could you please tell me how they are holding up? I am currently in the market for a bass and any input is appreciated. Thanks...

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    A simple SEARCH turned up these.

3. deefingers

deefingers Guest

Oct 7, 2003
    Hi Ed

Thanks for the reply, but the link you posted does not work. Also, I have searched through the forum before and I was just wondering how the Wan owners are liking their basses now. Also, I was curious to see if they've had any problems with their basses and how the sound of the basses have changed over time. I remember some of them saying that their basses where a little bit on the bright side. Anyway, thanks again...

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Our new software doesn't let you link search pages any more since they expire quickly to save bandwidth. The longest Wan thread I was able to find was This one.

5. I've had mine for right at a year and have had no problems. The tone continues to mature and the volume has grown. Although I only play in a local civic orchestra, the Wan Bernadel is clearly the best projecting bass. Now, even more so than when I bought it, I think this bass plays and sounds WAY over a $5k price tag.

6. bassphase

bassphase Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2004
    San Francico Bay Area
    I still love mine. I never thought the tone was too bright --well, new Spiros are painfully bright, but I was familiar with that. The instrument sounds better every day in my view. I put an Oliv G and a Eudoxa D on soon after I bought it and I love the combination. I play Jazz so I can't opine much on the arco side of things. I agree that it sounds like it cost double it's price tag as well. I did try out much more expensive basses (and silmilar priced) before deciding on this instrument. Note --I did NOT have an opportunity to try out the American Standard or La Scala that many here rave about.

bob

7. cgratham

cgratham Guest

Sep 22, 2004
    I've had my Wan for about three months now and still am very pleased. I've got Obligatos on it and am starting from scratch ;-) playing amost entirely arco.

I've taken it into my luthier who is very impressed with the sound and the quality of workmanship. My teacher also is very happy with the bass.

I'm still very early in learning to play well so any faults in my sound have to be attributed to user error and not to substandard equipment. I know that it is a fine bass though when my teacher plays it at my lessons. He gets a sound that reminds me of his old French bass.
    I've never felt that my Wan was too bright, but it definitely doesn't have as much power in the low end as my teachers bass does.

Finally, if you are considering a Wan, I can highly recommend Steve Koscica at the String Emporium. Great guy, great player, no pressure.

Feel free to contact me if I can help further.

Chris
    Chris Gratham
    North Vancouver, BC

8. deefingers

deefingers Guest

Oct 7, 2003
    Thanks to all of you who responded. I think I will buy one. First I have to convince the wife though (hahaha). Thanks...

9. deefingers

deefingers Guest

Oct 7, 2003
    Has anybody tried the Wan Bernadel and also Arnold's hybrid or carved Cleveland? Would you please let me know which one you prefer and why? I don't live close to the US so I can't try them myself. Any input will surely be appreciated. Thanks in advance...

10. bassphase

bassphase Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2004
    San Francico Bay Area
    Are you really going to buy a bass without playing it??? Make sure you get an agreement to return it if you're not satisfied.

bob

11. It's just not a good thing to buy a bass, no matter the price and how many other players praise it, without seeing and playing it.
    Not to get edgy on you, but it's really hard to make suggestions and to try to give you some kind of opinions....having been there ourselves, when you don't fill out your profile or give us any idea where you are.

12. fred pratt

fred pratt Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2004
    New York City
    I bought a Wan Bernadel a little less than a year ago, and I love it. The first thing that struck me when I tried it for the first time was that it was bright sounding. But it has a ton of bottom, and it has a beautiful carved bass growl to it. I have Spirocore Orchestras on it, and the bass really sings thoughout its whole range.

I don't think the bass suffers for being bright. The brightness tends to add a certain clarity and is not really noticeable in a group setting. You can play a major triad across three strings and it won't sound muddy; it will sound like a major chord.

While I was looking for a bass to buy I played probably a couple dozen of them under $10k, and the Wan was the best-sounding to me out of all of them, with the possible exception of a Prague Juzek I played at Geoff Morrow's Bass Garden. The reasons I didn't buy the Juzek were that it had a pretty devastating B flat wolftone, it was going to need a new fingerboard, and the owner wanted a couple thousand dollars more for it than I wound up paying for the Wan.

My particular Wan has a B flat wolftone as well, and I was a bit disappointed when it didn't go away after a few months of playing, but I guess that goes with the territory. I'm still happy with the bass.

I had a chance to listen to and play an acquaintance's Cleveland for a few minutes --I believe it was a hybrid-- and it was a great feeling and sounding bass. It felt solidly made, had a great, punchy tone, and played evenly all over the fingerboard. It was everything Arnold described it to be on his website, and more. The thing I missed --and this is just my personal preference-- was the carved bass tone. But the Cleveland is definitely a great bass, and if you're in a place subject to extreme weather, a hybrid might be a better bet.

What I would do is call Steve Kosica. He's a really nice guy, he'll talk to you for as long as you need to, and he might be able to set you up with someone in your area who has a Wan.

Good luck.

13. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Yeah, that was a hybrid (Don Higdon's Cleveland). Apparently you can get a fully carved Cleveland or La Scala now.

If you ever bring it by on Thursday nights, lemme know. I'd love to take a look at it.

14. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
  15. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    We got to get together for a beer, soon as it warms up. You're close enough you could fall by the crib.

Hammy hands, all the better to play smack down!

16. See that? I told you Ed knew how to hold a bow.

17. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    You're supposed to wrap your bow in four sausages when you play? This explains why I haven't been having much luck with only my hands. Damn, learn something new every day. Off to the butcher for this KY redneck...

18. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    You know I had some of that jelly your state is so famous for and I have to say I was VERY disappointed in the flavor. Maybe it's an acquired taste...

19. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    It's good on sausage.

20. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

"Finger Lickin' Good", as we shoeless folk down here are fond of saying. :)