Wankiest Wanking. Ever.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Zombbg4, Jan 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zombbg4

Zombbg4

Jul 15, 2008
    Olympia,Wa
    Sorry, but I couldn't help my self while watching this video. It just might be one of the most unmusical "blues" solo I've ever heard. I have feelings I can't explain while listening to it, and look at the comments! People are loving the guy!!! :confused::eyebrow::rollno::eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmtAD8K03Sc

I feel compelled to go over there and tie his plucking fingers together so he can only pump out constant 8th notes instead triplet 16ths....ugh. Am I the only one?

2. Yikes ... I'm with you. I wish I had that guy's right hand chops, but he sounds like he has never listened to the blues in his his life.

3. I didn't know Herman Li played the bass....

lol :D

4. Meyatch

Meyatch Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    actually I don't mind the solo. The backing track is horrible though.

5. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

+1, backing tracks sound like mud, but the solo didn't sound any more wanktastic than any other bebop solo out there. That said, much more bebop than blues.

6. That video is very... meh.... Crazy technical, but isn't appealing in any other way. At the same time, the guy has some serious chops, and he's better in other arenas. This was pretty cool to me:

Pretty little tapping bass solo piece: - I like this one.

Not bad at all...

7. Sucks.

8. JPaulGeddy

JPaulGeddy

Sep 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Yeah, just seems like bebop on speed, and going on for far, far too long. Still pretty musical. Not too bluesy.

9. tumbao2

tumbao2

Dec 28, 2008
  10. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Eugene
    Guys got technique, and in Beijing is a monster player, but could do well to play with some "context". I don't think its the number of strings that matter. He can play, he just doesn't have much to say except "technique".

11. Zombbg4

Zombbg4

Jul 15, 2008
    Olympia,Wa
    To an untrained ear it could sound like bebop, but if you transcribed the solos you could see that Charlie Parker was actually playing music, not raping the blues scale.

12. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    this is just another example someone using a Blues scale over an entire solo. c'mon people play the changes, not just one scale.

13. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    +1 although Bird occasionally used the Blues scale in his solos, he did waaaaaay more than just.. i totally agree with Zomb.. as a trumpet player, i spent my fair share of reading through the omnibook and transcribing stuff... maybe if more bass players did that, they would actually be considered musicians and not just blues scale molesters.

14. another video of him. I think that that blues solo sounds pahh, but this is a nice melody

15. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Japan
    lol...never heard it put quite like that before.

16. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

If that was partially directed at me, my reference to bebop was in comparison to blues, and though the bassist's solo wasn't anywhere near textbook bebop, it was much more bebop than it was blues in terms of overall feel (when was the last time you heard that many 16th runs in blues?). I've played jazz trumpet professionally in the past though, so I'm hardly untrained. ;)

17. raping the blues scale with a little woodie is more like it!

Definitely not the wankiest wanking ever though.

18. Anthbass

Anthbass

Jul 24, 2006
    Canada
    This effort is not my favourite but I have seen a video of him owning a fretless FBass. Tastes vary.

19. Can't actually make a lot of what he's playing.
    I find it really interesting that when you play a solo like that on bass there's a lot of OMG WOW but if you play the same thing on guitar or trumpet it is very average.

20. pjmuck

pjmuck

Feb 8, 2006
    New Joisey
    :rolleyes: Does the guy actually listen to anything he's playing, or is he just so absorbed in his own aroma?

the majority of bass clips I see on YouTube feature guys with impressive (sometimes staggering) technical ability, but I'd say less than 10% actually display any real taste or feel for what's required or what I would call, "traditional bass playing". Makes sense, considering YouTube's the perfect platform to show off to the world and shoot your wad, not to mention your general public would be bored by anyone in a 4 minute clip actually doing what a bass should be doing, i.e. laying down solid supportive foundation.

I'd be curious to see how many of these "bedroom" players can hold down a bass job in a working band.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.