Wanking in public, by request. (in church)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Nev375, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I confess, I'm a bass wanker. But in my defense, I usually do my fancy licks behind closed doors in the privacy of my own practicing... you know, when the usual scales and arpeggios get boring and then you have a moment of passion and the fingers just start flying.

Well, recently at an open jam, things were getting kinda quiet between acts and I just started playing a few seconds of bass solo indulgence which caught the attention of a songwriter/guitarist friend of mine who thought it was just awesome. I admit it kinda felt good to be recognized by a fellow musician, especially one who I believe kinda secretly thought bassists were semi-******** wannabe guitarists who just hold down the root. I thought that would be the end of it. Oh how wrong I was.

Fast forward to yesterday morning the same guy had invited me to sit in and wing a few songs with him at his church praise worship thing. I get there and set up then he starts inviting a few people over and says "Do that thing you do, ..you know that thing... with the fingers tapping on the neck deal and the thumb slap... you know that thing..."

Reluctantly, feeling cornered, I oblige and lay into the beginning of my little bass solo masterpiece. Oh sure the audience was very complimentary, although some looked a bit confused not having heard such strange noises from what I'm sure they thought was a standard issue electric guitar. But I felt used, and dirty and ashamed in my sin.

Am I alone or have some of you experienced something similar?

---------
    edit, just realized this is a better thread for humor and bass stories. My bad. Mods please relocate. I'll try to be more accurate next time.

2. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Never corner a wolverine.
    He put you on the spot and you delivered. You could have declined to "show off".
    There's no sin in doing something you were asked to do on the spur of the moment.
    No harm, no foul - as far as you're concerned. I appreciate your modesty tho.
    Big difference between this and the guy at Guitar Center wanking for attention.
    Yeah.. he used you. Thats on him.

3. In my experience, don't bring out finger tapping lines on a bass unless you want to be put on the spot. By your band or otherwise. Even if your playing simple 1 - 5 - 8 patterns noodling with scales and whatnot, people tend to go "whoa... you can do that on a bass?" After putting a simple tapping part to a quiet passage in a previous band, they kept asking me to "show this guy that thing you do."

4. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    I warm up / sound check in church with Bach, on fretless. So no, I am unfamiliar with the feeling.

5. Elrend

Elrend

Feb 24, 2008
    Norway
    Wanking in public is okay as long as there aren't any cops nearby (if it was requested I assume nobody would call the cops on you either).

6. i've been asked ... "do that again" on a few occasions...

my response is "Do what? ... What are you talking about?" ... then revert back to root 5th root 5th ... "that what your talking about?"

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 18, 2021