1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wanna get into solo bass stuff - where to start?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by wdinc01, Mar 18, 2008.

1. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    So I've recently been taking interest in some soloist and I would really like to get into that kind of stuff. I mean like Jeff Schmidt kind of soloing, where it's mainly just me as opposed to me and a backing band.

Where should I start? And in what order should I go? I understand this is probably a pretty big question, but I'm not interested in too much other stuff, and this can probably be applied to whatever I do.

Thanks for anyway help

2. Jaco, Victor, Manring, Caron

3. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    If you have someone you like then start by transcribing their solos. Then sit and analyze what they are doing. Then take a song with similar chord changes and yes even unaccompanied solo have chord changes implied and try to create a similar solo.

Soloing is spontaneous composition so work on your writing skills. Great soloists spend hundreds of hours transcribing and practicing soloing so they can sound like they just thought of the ideas onstage.