Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wanna hear a great Upright Player?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by kirk95, Mar 12, 2003.

1. kirk95

kirk95

Mar 12, 2003
  2. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    I hate to break it to you, but he's not that speacial.

Mabye you should post in the Double Bass forum. And listen to people like Ray Brown, Charles Mingus, Ron Carter, Stanley Clarke, Jimmy Blanton, and others.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Brian bromberg is my favorite upright player, at least when it comes to chops and virtuosity.

Ray brown is may favorite in general.

4. kirk95

kirk95

Mar 12, 2003
    My guess is you most likely enjoyed breaking it to me.......;)

I would agree he's not Ray Brown or Mingus...but how many guys are?

Let me re-phrase, he's one of my favorite bass players to play with. He always grooves his ass off, plays intersting solos and always hear's the right changes. This was just a simple blues gig, but he is just as rock solid when the changes are flying by in jazz setting too.

:D :D

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    This is off-topic, but one of my favorite upright albums is Bruce Cockburn's "The Charity Of Night". Rob Wasserman plays all the way through and he sounds incrediblw with Cockburn's music. Definitely worth buying "sight unseen".

6. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Christain McBride is definatley my favorite upright player. I was just listening to Diana Krall's Love Scenes last night and he just blows me away.

7. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    Want bad double bass players?

Dave Holland, Ray Brown, Paul Chambers, Ron Carter, [Anders Jormin, Lars Daniellson] (<--Swedish superbassists check em out), George Mraz, NHOP, Rufus reid, Peter Washington, Ira coleman, Chris Mcbride, Doug Watkins, Jimmy Blanton, Mingus, Stanley Clarke, Richard Davis, Oscar Pettiford, Scott lafaro, Slam stewart....

There's a good start :

/lovebown

8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Check out bassist Charnett Moffett's excellent upright playing on the new Kenny Garrett Album "Standard of Language" he smokes!!!! The album was co-produced by Marcus Miller:cool:

9. Da_Niet

Da_Niet

Jan 23, 2003
    California
    Miroslav Vitous is(was) criminally underappreciated as a virtuosic upright player. Don't forget to check him out if you haven't already.

10. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Thanks, I already have the Jon Rainey Trio CD.

11. Mandobass

Mandobass

Nov 12, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    how can we forget Edger Meyer?

total pimp on the upright.