Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wanna hear a Warwick with flats?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hofbrauhaus, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Hofbrauhaus

Hofbrauhaus

Feb 10, 2002
    Upton, MA
    Hey everyone, I remember reading quite a few threads over the past few months with some fellow TBers wondering what the heck a Warwick would sound like with flats on it. Well...I've used TI-flats on my Streamer LX5 exclusively, and finally got some clips up. I think it sounds at least a little like an upright, but hey who knows. This is my college big band...it's a live recording that was done on minidisc so it's not a recording with me going through a DI or anything. All 40 members of the band were pretty much mic'd, so I don't cut through very well with just my 2X10 cab I was using, but hey, that's prob for the better cuz I'm really a sax player!!! So please...excuse my VERY mediocre playing.

http://www.gettysburg.edu/~hesswi01/GBurg Jazz - Warwick with TI-flats/

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Pretty cool. Good walking man, nothing to be ashamed of. Most people don't realize how hard some of them walking lines are until they try and play them.

3. Hofbrauhaus

Hofbrauhaus

Feb 10, 2002
    Upton, MA
    Haha FINALLY I get a comment. At first I was sorta scared, thinking my playing sucked so bad that no one was taking me seriously...then on the other hand...I got positive and was thinking "well hey, maybe my chops are so good that I left everyone on talkbass speechless!" Obviously, that is me totally joking to myself :D

Thanks for the compliment though. All the walking I'm doing in Club Contrafact were lines I wrote myself. Lots of strange chords in that tune...many sus chords actually. I've been playing sax for twice as long as I've been playing bass so that's where the majority of my confidence lies, so it's nice to know I'm not like the most awful thing to appear in the bass world since Fieldy, lol :bassist:

Anyone else take a listen? I thought the Warwick with flats would be a pretty big topic of interest since I only know of one other dude on TB who uses flats on them

4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Many solos on Samba Ti Kai and no bass solo? What were they thinking! :scowl:

Nice playing, though. :cool:
    Sounds upright-ish? Maybe. But I still prefer the tone with rounds.

5. Hey there, nice playing,
    I love the sound flats on warwick...I would say that because I exclusively play with Thomastik-Infeld jazz flats on my Streamer LX 6 fretless, I only started using flats to save my finger board but I wouldn't change them for the world now, I get some great sound from upright-like to some punching rock when I want it!

I also agree about the walking bass thing, I never realised how hard it was til I tried it myself, keep up the good work!

As I said, don't worry, there are other warwick flat users out there!!!

6. C'mon, there is nothing wrong with your playing and your bass cuts pretty well in my headphones. I think, your bass sits in the mix perfectly, both with volume and "attitude". With respect to the conditions it suprisingly good record.

So you play LX5 strung with flats in order to get the upright-ish sound? Have you tried other basses? Is this the only band you are playing? I mean, Wicks are famous and praised for their mid-low growl that you will kinda lose with flats I think, and though I also played Thumb BO5 at jazz band and was VERY satisfied with its tone, I never even thought to strung it with the flats and mimic upright sound. I have custom fretless with piezo for that purpose...

Anyway, nice playing.

7. Hofbrauhaus

Hofbrauhaus

Feb 10, 2002
    Upton, MA
    Once again thanks for the comments guys! :cool: Yes I play the Warwick to try to get that uprightish sound because at the time I purchased it I figured that "woody" sound of the Warwick combined with some flats (the TI's specifically) would help give that uprightish sound. No it doesn't sound quite like an upright, but I do agree that it sits pretty well in the mix with the rest of the jazz ensemble. To tell you the truth I'm actually in the process of trying to sell the bass to a local cat here though. It's definitely the most beautiful bass I own and it is very well constructed, but the playability simply isn't as good as my Stingray5's. It's not the chunky neck that bothers me either, it's just that for the price I paid for it I was expecting better quality fretwork, yet the fretwork on my SR5 which was $400 cheaper is MUCH better. The trussrod doesn't turn as smoothly as on my SR5 either and doesn't seem to do much for the relief of the neck anyway. It's little details like that which make me want to let it go. I'm going to pick up a 5 string dual humbucker bongo in it's place...should be more versatile and nail just about any tone I want (plus a Wal is my dream bass but being in college I'll never be able to afford one, so I figured the Bongo is probably the next best thing to the Wal). Anyways thanks again for checking out the clips! I should throw up some sax clips and show yall what I'm actually capable of ;)

8. BlacktotheBlind

BlacktotheBlind Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Indianapolis
    i'm using La Bella flats on my Vampyre 5, i had to change my EQ drastically. they seem a lot more muddier than the EB rounds i had on before.

9. KYJazzy

KYJazzy

Nov 10, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    Yo, I really enjoyed listening to your bass work in big band, i love a good walking line! :bassist: under all the brass you do really sound like an upright, or about as close as it can come with an electric. i can't wait to get some flats on my jazz. thanks for sharing!

P.S. Yes, put the sax clips up! screw this board, make it talksax! :D

10. StoneCorey

StoneCorey

Dec 25, 2003
    Wicked tone for the style of music you really fill up the bottom nice good job

11. Hofbrauhaus

Hofbrauhaus

Feb 10, 2002
    Upton, MA
    Thanks everyone :hyper: Here's another clip I just put up...it's from the same concert...but different bass (Stingray5) since I needed to get a little funky. Please excuse the rather wankerish solo when I'm trading 4s with the percussion section, but the instructor said he wanted slap, oh well. I need to stop playing my sax so much and play bass more :bassist:

http://www.gettysburg.edu/~hesswi01/GBurg Jazz - Stingray5 with Stainless Slinkies/