wanna hear something cool about the music program at school

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Nick Gann, Sep 12, 2002.

1. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    You wanna know what is a really cool guitar maker/company?

PRS guitars.

You wanna know what's cooler then a PRS guitar?

A FREE PRS guitar :cool:

The Paul Reed Smith guitar factory is only about an hour or so away from where I am. They are doing an outreach program type thingy where (if I understand correctly) all high schools in the area get a free PRS guitar. And that includes my high school.

And we are gonna use it in jazz band. Which I am in. And my guitarist is the guitar player in jazz band. And I get to touch the guitar. :cool:

Sometimes the school system really screws the music program, and somethimes, it ROCKS!!!! I am so excited I had to share.

Anyone out there got any stories about how the school system has screwed the music program at your school? or any good stories about the school system helping the music program?
  2. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I wish my school was right next to an amp/cab factory like SWR, Euphonic Audio, eden...

my school has two (2) juzeks :p
  3. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.

Thats the good thing about the music scene and free stuff. Its either really really good, or really really S$@^. theres no inbetween :D. The guitars our school have are 3 yamahas, and 2 samicks, and as for basses, lets not go there...

..our best one is a samick, we have a Yamaha that is treaded _very_ badly, and its sad...

Anyway congrats on the new guitar, enjoy her!!
  4. The parents ond the students kind of screwed my school a few years ago.

A lot of people take band as a "free" A. We got a new instructor my freshman year, who made everyone learn the major scales (in every key). Some were able to do that without much practice, I struggled a little. The rest? Parental uproar. But, after the first year, if the students couldn't play all of their scales, a C. Half or more, a B. All of them, A.

Pretty simple system, and we were given an entire semester to complete the task.

The next year, freshman were expected to play their major scales. The rest of us, natural minors.

The process moved on, so, basically:

Freshman year = Major Scales
    Sophomore = Natural Minor Scales
    Junior = Harmonic Minor Scales
    Senior = Melodic Minor Scales

The uproar our band director got from the parents and students forced him to re-evaluate his line-of-thought as an educator. He ended up transfering to a different "less affluent" school after I gradjitated. But his grading policy is accepted there.

I played trumpet and sat in last chair for the first 3 years. I still learned my scales. I also played in jazz band all 4 years, so I had to play them on bass as well, but once you learn 1 finger pattern...

Anyways, my parents were miffed because they know how much of an influence this guy was in my musical career, and my little brother and sister were wrapped up in the whole process. They too were sad to see him go, even though they are not into music as much as I am.

What a pathetic state of affairs when you aren't supposed to learn something as basic as scales in a high school music class.

"My kid, work?!? You've got to be kidding!"
  5. Oh, and the new guy has been taking it up the you-know-where since he first got there. They'll be lucky if the students even have a band in a few more years. When my director was there, the jocks asked us to play at the games. We won plenty of awards and went to State for everything we did.

And after getting kicked out of one University, his letter of recommendation got me into another.

My kids are learning their scales.
  6. int, what you're talking about points to a very sad trend in American schools: the kids talk about how tired and overworked they are, but if you actually look at their workloads, most American teenagers barely do any work. I'm not sure if it's the fault of schools of education teaching all sorts of "a child's mind is a precious thing" crap, a general laziness in society, or a combination of the two.

I was lucky: I went to the state math and science academy, where slackers could simply be shipped back to their home high school if they couldn't hack 3 hours of homework a night.
  7. Anyhow, TBB, glad to hear that your school is benefiting from PRS' generosity. Here's hoping the guitar doesn't get stolen... :(

When I get the chance 20 years from now, I'm gonna donate a bass amp and maybe an expensive, non-portable wind instrument--a baritone sax or tuba, say--to my local school. Hopefully, it'll be appreciated.
  8. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001

and people wondor whats happening to music in schools..
    I was fortunate to have an good music program in school.. in middle school alone I had to know all of my major scales... and by my Jr year of high school I had to know all of the minor ones.. I took ap theory.. got a 5 on the exam, came to college and theory was a breeze..... I guess learning all that stuff sucked at the time.. but its 100% worth it