Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?"

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by heretic, Oct 12, 2004.

1. That sound is "CLANK"

I recently obtained a new Ibanez BTB300BG and I need some help... I get that horrid clanks noise when I try to play faster tunes. Example: I play something that goes like this on the E string: -000000008888777755556666- I get really bad clank when going from the open to the fretted notes. My band tunes to DGCF (1 step down) Im no expert on setting up my own stuff (plus I dont wanna mess it up) should I take it to an expert and have them set it up for me? :help:

THANKS

2. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    It's the floppy strings.

You want to go up a couple of gauges to increase string tension. That might require the nut to be filed, it might not. You'd probably be best taking it to a tech to get set up for the new string gauge, specifying that you tune to DGCF.

3. Detuning means losing tension. Get higher gauge strings to compensate for it. Something along the lines of 55-110 would do the trick, but more or less could be used depending on how you like tension (very tense and no buzz, a bit of buzzing, etc). You can also raise the strings a little, but most of the problem lies in tension.

4. Well, the strings I have on there came with it, they are Elixers. Im assuming the E string is a 100 or 105... I have some heavy gauges hopefully coming soon (damn you Samash.com!) Am am going to try out a few new brands... Snarling Dogs & GHS,both heavy gauges. If neither float my boat then I will get a set of EB Powers. Well see how it works... Thanks :)

5. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    I use EB power slinkies. Great strings, amazing tone.

6. So would you recommend those higher gauge strings for like a heavy rock sound that hits it hard and loud, like would that extra tension make 'em vibrate faster and be a tighter sound for that or am i backwards or what?

7. Well the reason I want tighter strings is because the tighter tension allows me (maybe just me not sure of everyone elses preference) play faster. The string were a little loose for my tastes and sounded bad when I tried to play stuff like Lamb of God and Cannibal Corpse. Hopefully heavier gauges will fix that...

8. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    They'll vibrate at the same frequency as lighter strings... (that determines the pitch)

They'll be tighter and louder than skinny strings.

9. i believe thats the fieldy sound :D ..generally with most people when they play faster they dig in harder....so try playing with a lighter touch..are you a fingerstyle player? if you are try pluging the strungs more vertical to the fingerboard.....so your problem might not be so much on the setup....

10. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member