Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wanna play in Asia?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mingustoo, Dec 25, 2004.

1. Just a heads-up to anyone looking for a new place to play. There's a great music fest inTaiwan called 'Spring Scream.' It has been going for about ten years now with bands coming from the ubiquitous 'all over' to play and having a great time too. It takes place early in April each year in a beach town at the southern tip of the island. They dont pay the bands (I think they had 160 last year) but they have wicked stages and travelling bands can usually scrounge up some gigs for a little cash. Next year will be my seventh consecutive year playing there so I can attest to the great vibe of the event.
    You're not gonna get rich travelling here to play but you will have a good time and meet some cool people. A trio from New York, 'Dynamite Club' have been coming the last couple years and have been lining up gigs in Japan after. Hong Kong has a few places to play too. It will cost you money but playing vacations are great; the whole ROCK STAR trip, but without the cash, comfort, and in some cases women, as the real deal.....and you get to be a roadie at the same time! That's like too dreams in one. :meh:

2. Sounds cool, just out of curiosity, does a band ship all their gear over or is that supplied (amps etc)?

3. just bring your axes. Unless you dont mind playing on borrowed basses and guitars. :bassist:

4. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Werd..your username has Ming in it too...

and maybe when I get older I'll go back to Taiwan, visit some of my family and then play...would be cool :D

5. Might depend on the kind of music you're playing too, right? In China and Taiwan they're really big on pop (think F4 or 5566), and the only place in China I can think of where rock is popular is Beijing.

But if you're a jazzer that should work out. I think. I hope.