Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wanna see a picture of my cool custom Jazz bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Philbiker, Apr 25, 2001.

1. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Click here!

* Lasido neck with ebony fingerboard
    * Warmouth body : Alder with quilted maple top
    * Wilkins paint job
    * Schaller hardware
    * Bartolini passive single coil pickups
    * Passive EQ

It was assembled by Chris at Pink Guitars in Centreville, VA in 1998. He did an INCREDIBLE JOB!!!!!! I'd love for a mini of this picture to be my little sig pic.

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Lielani like!!! That is the most unique quilt I've seen, (I don't mean that in a negative way). It looks very random and the quilt on a bass I own is like most - more uniform pattern. Must have been the tree DNA or something in the water. ;)

If you don't mind a few questions;

- What is lasido and why did you choose it? (resonance? punchy/deep/high tone characteristics? weight?)

- Which model Bartos are those, (like 9W4's or whatever), and why did you choose them?

- Now, the tacky question - $$$?

I keep changing spec's on a custom and would appreciate any of your thoughts behind the choices you made.

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Lasido is a Canadian company that makes Norman and Seagull Guitars, as well as Godin. They have a web site. http://www.lasido.com/ They used to make parts, I have no idea if they still do.

The Lasido neck was hanging behind a counter at a local shop for YEARS (at least 4) after they stopped selling parts. One day during a clearance sale I said "Hey man when are you goiong to sell me that neck for a price I can't refuse?". The person behind the counter made me an offer I couldn't let go. So I had a neck with nothing else. That's how the project got started. It's V-shaped which is really nice. However, the frets stick out a little from hanging in the store for so many years.

After having the neck for a few years I was unhappy with my hot-rodded Mexi-J (which I named "rubberneck" for obvious reasons). So I brought the neck to my local shop Pink Guitarz which was the BEST SHOP EVER in the DC area (too bad they're gone, but Chris works at Guitar Center). I ordered the body $300 and the Shaller hardware (about $150).

I talked to the shop about paint options and they recommended that if I want a really nice job that we send it to the Wilkins shop, which Pink used for it's own brand custom built guitars. I agreed. $350. Wilkins is the shop that paints for Mike Lull, Roger Sadowski, and others of that ilk, so I knew it was going to look good. Turn-around on the body from Warmoth and then the subsequent paint job was about 3-4 months total. When the unpainted body came in everyone gawked at how beautiful it was. When the painted one came in they gawked even more.

My original plan was to put the Fender pickups back in the Mexi and load the new bass with my BassLines Quarter Pounds. Then I saw my local shop Venemen Music had a pair of Bartolini passive J pickups (no idea model number - they're kind of vintage sounding) for about $120. I've always liked Barts so I picked them up. They are SINGLE COIL and buzz when soloed. I love the sound of true single coil p/us on a Jazz. Sold the Mexi-J outright.

Construction (which was done very well) was about $300-400 also. Ended up being about $1300. I didn't save much by getting that neck after all! The bass turned out wonderful, but my rock and roll band broke up and now I play mostly in church and a little acoustic trio so it hardly ever gets played.

Truth be told I'm not incredibly happy with it, even though it is exactly how I specified. Given a choice at the time I would have gotten a neck with an Ebony fretboard, since it works so nice on my Palaedium. However, I think the bass is too bright for my tastes. Don't get my wrong I love it, I really love it, but my Fender American Standard Jazz V sounds better. I'd rather have Rosewood fingergboard and skip the bright Maple laminate, despite how incredibly beautiful it is. I would also probably go with a low-mass Fender style bridge if I was building it again.

That's the problem with a custom. Mistakes are VERY EXPENSIVE, you';d better know EXACTLY what you want.

4. that i real nice looking bass PhilBiker

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The paint job sorta reminds me of abalone. Cool bass man!