Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

wanna share my good fortune....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by pigpen02, Dec 17, 2002.

1. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    so, my drummer called this evening....

we're opening for kings x in february. my first gig since playing parties drunk as a teenager. i'm stoked!

my drummer went up to the club this evening, was hanging out w/ the owner, and mentioned that he'd love to get us in on the kings x gig. dude said "well, you guys haven't played anywhere and haven't got your demo finished, so i can't really book you for a national act. so, who's in the band? anybody i know?" drummer rattles off the list of members, mentions our singer, and dude says "byron? hell, you've got it." gotta love that.

anybody ever meet the band? cool guys? i'd like to get a chance to speak w/ doug pinnick, hope there's time. any particular etiquette to pestering rock stars in this situation? i've never met anybody.

2. hibeam

hibeam

Oct 16, 2002
    USA
    Dude that rocks I remember reading about pinnick in BP a few months ago; seemed like a cool guy. Let us know how it goes.

3. Great news! You guys need to make sure practice so you can sound your best. Sounds like this gig could give you a lot of exposure and help to get a local following started.

Good luck.

4. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Hey Pig!

My band Ethyl opened for KX in June! I didn't get to talk to the guys, but was around for their sound check.

Doug's bass tone: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Bring a change of pants, you'll need it after hearing the Devil Sound That Is His Bass Tone.

They were way tight, kinda funny, and sounded great. Unfortunately, I'm not a huge fan, not even a causal fan, and the songs all started sounding the same after a while. But I can't deny it was cool playing the show (I think they were in the back room "chillin'". They didn't catch us :( )

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Gwon

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

All three guys in King's x are great. I have talked with Doug, Ty and Jerry at various shows that they have played here in Dallas, and they are all nice, down to earth guys.