Wanna start building stompboxes...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tplyons, Aug 15, 2003.

1. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Alright guys, if Timmy Commerford can do it, so can I. I'm looking for that one tone, not too far from a Big Muff, but I'm looking to build a stompbox I can call my own, where do I start, where do I look for materials? Any advice to be given?
  2. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    if timmy commerford can have an 80% coverage torso tattoo can you? :bassist:
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I can't afford it! :bawl:
  4. Wood = Basses

Wood = Basses

Jun 19, 2003
    well, this might not be too useful (and maybe too obvious). But, you could buy and old big muff pi, tear it open, and study the parts and wiring. Then try your best to copy it using parts you buy. It will probally be the sound you are looking for (close to a big muff but with its own sound), if it works hahahha You could also do to the pedal what tim does to his amps, replace every part that looks or is cheap with something higher grade (like the wires, coils and tubes in his amps)
  5. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've considered it but I have too much respect for my Big Muff and it would pain me to take one apart :(
  6. bkb9091

Feb 21, 2003
    Austin, TX
  7. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Well, I went out, got some stuff listed on the SmallBearElec.com site, and practiced soldering components on perfboard without burning them up, coming along pretty well. Going to order one of their kits, just to get started, gonna get a breadboard and start experimenting. Wish me luck.
  8. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    There used to be a collective of pedal makers called Commonsound that offered plans for all kinds of pedals for free. There website isn't responding, but if you did a search you could probably still find a site with the plans on it. Funky stuff!

You might also try some cicuit bending. Bassically its taking an existing circuit, and introducing some other component that wasn't supposed to be there until it sounds the way you want. I played with a noise musician for a while that had a circuit bent Speak n Spell, and it was great! http://www.oddmusic.com/illogic/ will give you some good ideas on where to start.

I have 80% of my body covered in tattoos. It's just that it's clear ink. Hurt like hell, and nobody can tell the difference.
  9. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Wow! The search fuction DOES come in handy! I was gonna start a thread on this, but here it is! I'm getting a kit, I think it's a pretty awesome idea to make your own effects.
  10. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Great, I finally feel useful :p