Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wanna start playing, but...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Arti, Sep 23, 2005.

1. Arti

Arti

Sep 23, 2005
    I can't bend the last joint on my left ring finger. Tendon got ripped off the bone when I jammed my finger really badly. Will I be able to play guitar with this handicap?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't see why not. I know a great pianist with the same problem.

3. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I have a simillar problem with my left pinky. You'll just have to work a bit on inventing your own fingerings. Since you are starting with the injury it shouldn't be that big a deal, I had a long period of adjustment when i hurt my pinky because I'd already been playing for a few years.

4. Of course you can! Lots of good bassist only fret with three fingers anyway - just out of bad habit.

I myself cannot fret with my pinky finger - due to a very similar injury. Bout 13 years ago, I dislocated the finger playing basketball in a pickup game at college. I evidently tore or severely stretched the material that keeps the finger from bending backwards. It still works fine when gripping, but when reaching... it hyper extends and literally locks out. Therefore, it's useless for fretting.

But I've never known the bass any other way and it's never been a problem for me. I just have more wrist action to achieve the same notes then most guys. No big deal. Don't let stuff like that stop you! :cool:

5. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Being that you wouldn't know how to play a bass any other way you should be fine. You will learn how to make it work for you.

I on the other hand had been playing for years when my left index finger was crushed. It has been about four years now and I still don't have the strength or control that I had previously. It can be quite frustrating at times. Hell, it even made me think about quiting at times but here I am still playing.

All I can say is if you want to bad enough, you'll figure out a way! Good luck and welcome to TB! :D