1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wanna try a ric....insight please

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TerenceE, Nov 16, 2019.

1. TerenceE

TerenceE Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2015
    So I really wanna try a ric. From what I understand you either love you some ric or hate it hahaha. I have an opportunity to obtain an ‘88 4003 in a pearl silver finish that appears to be reasonably rare in the $2k CAD range. Curious if this is a decent price that will allow me to recoup my output without too much trouble if it turns out the ric isn’t for me. Has a ding on the bottom and a few in the black binding on the body. Otherwise it’s pretty much mint. Live how
    It looks. Seller claims it’s setup with low action and is a tone machine

Worth pulling the trigger to try my first ric or should I wait in a newer cheaper model to test drive...

many thanks for any input!

2. Do you have pics if the truss rods work? Old Rics have a (imo) horrible 2 truss rod system. Do you have pictures of the pickups are frets?

3. creaturegods

creaturegods

Sep 23, 2017
    If it's at all possible, try to get your hands on a Ric before you drop $2,000 on one. The neck profiles and the way they balance are definitely ... unique, and not for everybody.
    Based on the use of the phrase "tone machine," I'm guessing this bass would be purchased locally or through Reverb by an independent seller? If that's the case, then their return policy might not cover "i didn't like it," so do your due diligence before you make the purchase!

phillipkregg, osv and smtp4me like this.
  4. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,

If you can try before you buy and after inspection it's to your liking then grab it. If not take a pass. Since the finish is rare you should have no problem selling it.

Rezdog

monsterthompson and MrNylon like this.
  5. Also, while Rics can be considered a “tone machine”, they don’t fit in almost every mix like a P bass or a Jazz bass. They have a very particular sound. One more thing, use flats on old Rickenbackers, their frets are made of pudding. Ok I’ll be quiet now.

6. Gothic

Gothic

Apr 13, 2008
    Greece
    I love rickenbackers. I laugh at the price tag. Hate the bridge. Can't say I love the fretwire on them, either. And there can be hum. But I love rickenbackers. But yeah, try one first.

7. elgranluis

elgranluis Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX
    you should have no problem selling the bass later if you think the current price is below average where you live.

rollie 55 and Skillet like this.
  8. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Looks nice, but I think it's too much. Rare finish yes, but not amazing. It's only 300 less than a new rick which will not have that damage, but more limited colors. Hit up L&M and ask them to bring one to your local store and spend a bit of time with it... :thumbsup:

Aqualung60, Gunga Din and Spidey2112 like this.
  9. TerenceE

Dec 6, 2015
    Wish there was a L@M here!

10. RyanOh

RyanOh Gold Supporting Member

yes yes tone machine!:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Don't tell me, and it plays like butter!:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

I have a Ric 4003, and a bunch of others. True, it's usually love/hate, I'm meh about it. Play it and see what you think, nobody can decide for you. That ad is all sales puffing. I always wanted one and.... well....meh.

krfoss, rollie 55 and FRoss6788 like this.
  11. lordradish

lordradish

Jul 20, 2006
    Vermont
    Lots of great advice , here. I’ve always thought that Ricks are WAY overpriced, especially because they’re not exactly the most versatile sounding bass, make sure that tone is what you really want.

12. TerenceE

Dec 6, 2015
    There just aren’t any locally is the issue. Can’t try before I buy

13. creaturegods

creaturegods

Sep 23, 2017
    I'd suggest messaging the seller directly and explaining your situation and ask what, if any, their return policy is.

I personally would not spend over 2 grand on something I couldn't touch first, but to each, their own. :thumbsup:

Aqualung60 likes this.
  14. TerenceE

Dec 6, 2015
    There’s no returns. I’d I do t like it I have to sell it

15. TerenceE

Dec 6, 2015
    I can get it for $1900 plus about $50 for shipping. Canadian funds so in the $1500 usd range which is basically the price of any used ric. I’d be paying through PayPal with my credit card so if anything is not as described I’m covered. I don’t think I can lose $$ on it given what I’m playing and that it’s near “vintage” in a relatively scarce finish

assuming it is in as good a shape as claimed I’m thinking it’s a decent gamble. I basically just wanna know if I’ll at least break even on it if I hate it lol

16. Bertr

Bertr

May 6, 2013
    To me a 88 is fine if you like it. Truss rod before 09/84 can be a pain: Rickenbacker Truss Rod Adjustment — Haze Guitars
    Now I had a rick (which I sold). I never liked the way it felt.
    But on stage the bands I was playing with just felt it was GREAT to have a bass player with a Rick, and (with flats, all full on) I recorded my best bass lines with it (I'm not a pro to put things into perspective).
    But I played better lines because it inspired me, although is was uncomfortable and quirky.
    One day I'll get another one. They are awful. But in a way that makes you play great.

miljoneir and catcauphonic like this.
  17. That’s a pretty steep price. I’d pass.

18. TerenceE

Dec 6, 2015
    $1950 Canadian don’t seem outrageous for an 88 in a scarce color. That’s around $1500 usd. Seems to be going price for a used ric in regular colours

SirMjac28, Clemouze and Skillet like this.
  19. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Ask to see a photo of the truss rods with the cover removed. Lots of older Rics have damage to the thrust washer the nuts bear against, or amateur woodworking attempts removing wood around them to access. Also photos of the rear of the bridge to confirm string tension hasn't bent it upwards. I think the newer CNC cut basses are more consistent , though they have had more finish problems than the old ones in recent years. Any bound model is a bit unforgiving ergonomicslly, no elbow relief and minimal body contouring can make them uncomfortable for some. The "one trick pony" rap is BS, a Ric is as versatile as any two pup bass, but it does have that classic piano like clank with the treble dimed on the bridge pup. Its true the older basses had soft fretwire, get some closeups of the frets too. Re-frets or leveling on a lacquered board is a PITA, which makes it expensive. The current production Walnut S and SW models are probably the best deal, slightly cheaper with mono output, but most people don't use RicK O' Sound, and the oil finish is pretty forgiving. A bit lighter than solid maple too. I'd pass on an older model unless it's really rare and in immaculate condition.

SirMjac28, Sparky Mark and Dabndug like this.