1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wanna try round wounds after flat wounds...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by smythe5, Feb 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. smythe5

smythe5

May 11, 2010
    I have a bass with flat wounds already and for the sake of variety of tone, was thinking round wounds on my fender jazz. However, the rounds on the bass right now, aside from being super old, are super bright in combination with the jazz and maple neck. Is there a round wound set out there with a deeper warmer sound, but still giving me that round vibe? I was glancing at the DR lineup. Any good experiences with Hi Beams or some of these other sets they have?

2. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    I think Sunbeams are what you want. They are definitely warmer than Hi Beams, and are about as smooth of an uncoated round as you will find.

3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Aside from TI jazz rounds.

4. Yeah the Sunbeams will be a warmer, smoother roundwound than the Hi Beams :) i would recommend those

5. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Have to agree with these posts. They will seem a little bright at first, but they mellow quickly and keep that tone for a very long time. They could almost pass for flats until you play with a pick or slap, but even then they don't have the brightness of stainless rounds. Just enough of an edge to work for those songs where it's needed. And they are much lower in tension than most flats, very comfortable and easy to play.

6. GHS Pressurewounds.

Brio likes this.
  7. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    All the above. GHS Pressure wounds are a very nice transition for what you describe. If you want a little more bottom and top go Boomers.

Brio likes this.
  8. Brio

Brio

Mar 10, 2013
    Kansas City
    +1 for Pressure wounds.