1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Want a bass from Japan - who is going (or is there?)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WarriorJoe7, Sep 28, 2009.

1. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    I really want to get a Japanese made Tune bass, preferably 8 string, preferably without the trem. I'd rather get it from a private seller in Japan and pay a fair price (rather than a store)

So if you are going to Japan or are already there and want to make 10% or so on a bass I will hook you up. Tunes are not too rare in Japan but can be here. If you live in Japan I will agree to hook you up in return if you are looking for something in particular taht is hard to find (I have shipped a plenty internationally.)

My preference is a TWX-8 but I could go for a Zi-3-8 or possibly another model

Joe

twx-8c,pd,02.

zi-3-8n,shiroppachi,1.

2. $Lindz$

$Lindz$

Oct 27, 2008
    Hey, I'm in Japan for a little bit (year +), can you send me a PM with some more info and model numbers to keep an eye out for you?

I did some searching right now and I found a couple 6ers, a bunch of 5s, a bunch of 4s, and a 10 string (!!!).

Also, please let me know what your price range is... these things are ranging from ~$900-~$3,000.

If you could keep an eye out for any alpine white Gibson Thunderbirds that are very worn and/or repaired that would be cool. Most Alpine white birds over here live a rich pampered life and thus get sold for much higher than Ebony or VS birds.

Other than that, I am always open to any Gibson Thunderbirds that can join my flock. I have an ebony right now, so VS or white would be preferable. As I said... the more used the better, and nothing newer than ~15 years.

Even if you don't have any suitable Gibson Birds (would maybe consider a 70s EB-whatever with a mudbucker) I would still be hapy to keep an eye out for your Tune.

3. Brent Nussey

Brent Nussey

Jun 27, 2001
    Tokyo, Japan
  4. $Lindz$

$Lindz$

Oct 27, 2008
    Well I'll be damned.

I am actually pretty close to there. (within 1 hr i mean).

I've never shipped a bass from Japan to the states before but I can't imagine that it is cheap...

5. Japan post was very reasonable when I packed up and left. That was a long time ago but things change slowly there. I bet it's cheaper than USPS going the other way.

6. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    Thanks. This is what I want.

I will keep an eye out for white tbirds. If I get it I will make sure top make it up to one or both of you somehow (money or a favor involving something you can't find.)

If I can figure out the contact form I will. If I tried to offer 75000 yen do you think they would take it... plus shipping of course.

7. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    Only thing I can recommend, is, (no offense to you!) get a friend who speaks fluent japanese, sit them down, and have them type you up a very polite, and business like email. (or price query).
    That will make a BIG difference.
    In this culture, it is all about politeness, and modesty.

If the website receives A random email that has been poorly converted to "japanese" through google translator, they may not even reply, and would probably blow you off.

I see it this way.... if you were a seller, who would you do business with, the client who made attempts to communicate to YOU in YOUR language, or, the client who sit's around and waits for YOU to communicate to THEM in their language.

So, I hope you can work this bass deal out, and if you do, you better post us here a full review. :)

And now, the disclaimer.
    I lived in japan on and off for 7 years, and though I'd try and give you some advice. The Japanse are a radically different culture, and even though they do share many western things, they do not have the same rules, ideals, and so on. In fact, many things that would be perfectly okay for Americans could be considered quite rude. I am not attempting to call you "stupid" or "uneducated", nor do i mean you ANY sort of offense. And, if you already know all of this, then my apologies for wasting your time.

Thanks.

8. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    And my previous post mostly applies if you are planning on sending the website that was posted by$Lindz$ an email, and try and haggle them to ship direct.
    If you can get $Lindz$, or anther TB member to purchase it, and ship it to you, then most of what I said doesn't apply.

Again, my apologies if what I have said seems offensive...

9. mr.mow

mr.mow

Feb 11, 2009
    Melbourne
    Endorsing Artist: BBE/G&L Basses
    In my experience haggling doesn't go down well in japan, its seen as fairly culturally rude.

TC Gakki wont deal with foreign customers either, so you will need a local to hook you up.. Ishibashi DO deal with foreign customers, they have Tune basses 2nd hand pretty regularly (Their used dept is called the UBox)

10. Aussie Mark

Aussie Mark I come from a land down under

Oct 26, 2002
    Sydney, Oz
    Endorsing Artist: Fender; O'Neill Amps; Cave Passive Pedals
    Coincidentally, I'm trying to buy a used bass on j-guitar.com that is being sold by a store that won't ship internationally.

So, if there is a TB member living in Japan who is willing to act as my middle man to buy and ship a bass for me I'll pay them $100 for their time and effort, as well as all shipping costs and Paypal fees.

11. $Lindz$

$Lindz$

Oct 27, 2008
    Joe, I tried to respond to your PMs but your box is full and it will not go through.

12. Aussie Mark

Oct 26, 2002
    Sydney, Oz
    I've just had a great experience with obsoleteguitars.com, who act as the middleman on store purchases or Yahoo Japan auctions for sellers who don't speak English and/or won't ship internationally. Very smooth process indeed.

13. quadrogong

quadrogong

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    I've been to japan a few times
    and not one shop would ship internationally
    I bought a great bass in the Ochanomizu district, ( tokyo's 48th st)
    but I had to ask my father in law to ship it,
    there is a guy on eBay though..
    I almost bought a "Hide" signature model mockingbird, and this guy had two different models Burny guitars, and was willing to also order and ship other models that I asked about, a bass that wasn't on his site( a Fernandes)
    do a search on
    " Hide " "yellowheart" or "Burny"
    and if u see a yellow mockingbird w red hearts on it, that's him.
    Nice guy & very willing to accomodate me.
    If u can't find him, pm me.
    My wife is Japanese so we know are way around, if u need directions or advice.. Maybe we can help. Good luck!

14. Aussie Mark

Oct 26, 2002
    Sydney, Oz

Ishibashi will ship internationally, and have an export team who speak reasonable English

15. mr.mow

mr.mow

Feb 11, 2009
    Melbourne
    Endorsing Artist: BBE/G&L Basses
    kurosawagakki and pan project both will as well..
    Actually there loads who will, you just have to dig deep to find em.

www.digimart.net is a great online site, it has a list of Japanese companies who will ship overseas.

16. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    oops... it is now empty