1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Want a bigger practice amp. How about a Crate BX-40?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by EamusCatuli, Mar 18, 2009.

1. EamusCatuli

EamusCatuli

Mar 18, 2009
    Chicago
    I've been playing bass for a whole 3 months now. (I guess you have to start somewhere.)

My wife got me a cheap bundled package with a knockoff guitar ("Crescent") and a "Fever" 20W amp. Anything past about 40% on the amp distorts. I found a BX-40 on Craig's that I think I can get for around $140 -- it's 12 years old and the guy bought it when he was in 8th grade.

Anyone know anything about this amp? Being that I'm so green to this, any pitfalls I should be aware of in buying an amp that's 12 years old and played by someone of the same age? Anything I should ask besides how it was treated? I'm far from playing with anyone else -- just taking lessons and noodling at this point. But down the road I'd like to play with someone. I'm assuming 40W is enough -- any thoughts there?

Thanks folks.

2. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    If you are interested in playing in anything other than a cofee shop band then you will definetly need more than 40 watts. I personally wouldn't get the Crate just because they aren't so hot with their bass amps. You should go for Ampeg, Gallien Krueger, or something along those lines.

3. Practice amp 10 to 80 watt
    Drummer and one guitarist 100 watt to 200
    Drummer two guitars 350 to infinity

4. Dogbertday

Dogbertday Commercial User

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    I'd go for something in the 100 watt (give or take) range. GK Backline 110 combo has treated me well and works for low volume jamming and practice. the Ampeg BA115 will get you a lot more sound and sounds miles better if you ask me (great workhorse amp as long as you aren't playing anything super loud)

If you grab yourself an amp that will last it'll be much more valuable than one you got quick. Then you can upgrade your bass without worry if the amp will keep up. If your budget is a little higher than either of the two options above you can check out the Hartke Hydrive combos. some small ones with some punch in that line. and they have great customer service (Larry Hartke's cell # is published and I've gotten free replacement parts just for calling).

On that note, welcome to the wonderful world of bass!

5. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    If its just your bedroom then I cant imagine it wont be loud enough. Figure a LOT more for any kind of live work.

Just get it, its second hand so if its no good you can sell it on for no loss.

My first big amp (well, it seemed big then) was a Crate BX80, and it was fine. Nothing special, but it made my bass loud, and that was really what I cared about. My band all picked up instruments for the express purpose of being in the band, so we all had crappy equipment, I can report that the BX80 can, in fact, keep up with an ancient Laney 40W guitar combo and a very nervous drummer.

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Pass on the Crate, that's not even a decent price for such an inadequet, 12 yr old amp. Look for something bigger, at least 100 watts, and at least a 15" spkr. If you want to jam with freinds, you'll need even more than that, but at least you'll hang in somewhat.

7. Stay away from anything that says Crate on it. I had a BX-100 and it was horrible.

8. Deepfrequency

Deepfrequency

May 12, 2006
    You got lots of good info here.....the Crate is junk. Ampeg...great big $$$, Gailien Krueger Great...very pure sound also $$$$, Genz-Benz will be my next amp 6 tens and 3-400 watts..niccce rig $$$$. I have been using to practice and gig (mostly church) the last 15 years a Trace-Elliot BLX-80. It is an 80 watt(i think) 1 10" kevlar speaker in a small box with a funny slot down the middle. It kicks seriously. It has a great EQ, all the traditional Trace-Elliot sound. It has pre-amp in/out, effects in/out. Bass in active/bass in passive. Pre volume/post volume to better adjust the sound of your guitar vs. your effects/EQ. I am selling it to do a refret job to my 1967 EB-3 and rebuild my Ampeg B-15(also 1966). I am asking $450 plus shipping, but I live in Indiana near Chicago. Ask around, they don't make these anymore and everybody who ever had one loves them. I just would love to restore my EB-3 more. email me at peter_zabriskie@yahoo.com