1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Want a different bass cable. Ideas?

Discussion in 'Accessories [BG] - NEW!' started by Original Poser, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Original Poser

Original Poser

Nov 24, 2017
    Seattle
    I’ve been using Mogami gold for years, but recently, for some unknown reason, I tried my guitar players cable, and was blown away. The sound wasn’t better necessarily, just.......tighter. So, I’m reaching out. Ideas?

2. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    I think you're hearing what you expect to hear.

3. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Granting that what you say is true, why wouldn’t you buy what the guitar player is using instead of striking out on your own?

4. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
    Original Poser likes this.
  5. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

6. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Maybe something in a red, snakeskin flavor...

91IjPe8RbSL._SX425_.

JLY and bassboysam like this.
  7. Resistance or Impedance isn't the issue, it's Capacitance.
    Mogami definitely it's the least capacitive wire out there, but it's still good quality.

I'd recommend the OP make them. Buy your wire of choice & some Neutrik connectors & make them to your preferred length.

8. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Yes, Thanks for this; corrected.

9. Original Poser

Original Poser

Nov 24, 2017
    Seattle
    Great article! Thanks!

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  10. PaulCISSA

PaulCISSA Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Northest New Jersey
    This...make your own. If I can do it, anyone can. I prefer Canare GS-6 with Neutriks. Been making and equipping locals for years with excellent results. Not to take anything away from Mogami but a lot of the cost comes with the brand.

11. Original Poser

Original Poser

Nov 24, 2017
    Seattle
    Good advice! I’m going to look into that. Glad I posted this. So much good advice...

12. Go on Amazon and buy one from GLS Audio. If you can hear a difference then congrats - your ears are better than mine.

13. White Funk

White Funk

Nov 25, 2018
    Guys, I'll tell ya - I can't hear the difference from one cord to another. I spent good money on Monster cables which CONSTANTLY broke. I have cheepo's that I've been using for years with no problems. For me, I just buy what's relatively cheap and looks good. Just my two cents!

MCF and JimmyM like this.
  14. Original Poser

Original Poser

Nov 24, 2017
    Seattle
    I thought about that. And I might. Just delving into the talkbass world. So much experience on this thing.

JGbassman likes this.
  15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I completely agree. Now to be fair, capacitance can make some cables sound a little different from each other, but it's very slight at best, cable length will make much more of a difference, and if you use active electronics or an effect pedal with a buffer, then they might as well all be the same cable and length no longer matters.

Original Poser, JGbassman and MCF like this.
  16. GBBSbassist

GBBSbassist I actually play more guitar... Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Chicago
    Did you forget to move the cable from the guitar players amp to your amp? That's the only way I'd imagine hearing someone completely different...

Marko 1 likes this.
  17. Turxile

Turxile

May 1, 2011
    Reading this, I just A/B'd 3 cables I have. Never thought about it before, but worth a few minutes of testing.
    - Vox VGS; the standard cheap vox
    - Vox class A Bass cable
    - Planet Waves American stage.
    The Vox Bass cable had significantly more low mids to my ears, and a bit less highs. Sounded very warm.
    The standard Vox and the planet waves sounded about the same, I can't tell the difference. They both sounded a bit scooped compared to the Vox Bass cable, and lost the sweet mids.
    Overall nothing that can't be changed with a tiny bit of EQ tweaking.

Original Poser likes this.
  18. Original Poser

Original Poser

Nov 24, 2017
    Seattle
    Yes, I forgot to move the cable from the guitar players amp. So dumb. Now it all makes sense. I love how people on here always try to talk down and make other people feel stupid. It’s so helpful.

JimmyM likes this.
  19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Welcome to the internet.

Bob_Ross and Original Poser like this.
  20. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    fwiw, I care a whole lot more about how a cable feels ...the "lay" of the cable, how easy it is to coil/uncoil, how flexible it is, how relaxed it is in the way it drapes from the bass to the floor to the amp ...than I do about how it sounds. Unless it's broken, any decent cable designed for musical instrument reproduction is going to sound just fine.

petch, Original Poser and JimmyM like this.