Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Want a little head...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Dec 20, 2001.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    (Sorry - couldn't resist.)

I've been casually looking at heads to replace my G-K 400RB.

I want something small and light, and 400W~600W into 4 ohms. I really like the new Mesa Walkabout, but I don't think 250W will cut it for me with a pair of Bag End S15-Ds. (I'll be picking up another Bag End before the amp.)

I would also consider a pre/power amp setup.

Any suggestions on small, high powered heads that won't break my early-middle-aged back? What about some of the exotics - Glocken(mumble), Walter Woods and the like?

Remember, full size racks look silly on top of Bag Ends - kinda like a Great Dane humping a Poodle.

2. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    You could try the Eden Traveller head. It's small, light, and 300 watts into 4 ohms I think. Oh, and you get that great Eden tone too.

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    EBS Fafner, perhaps? You're supposed to rackmount it, but if you don't, it's pretty small and light (the plywood 2-unit rack you'd otherwise put it in weighs about as much as the head itself) and has the power you ask for (440 W at 4 ohms I think, but it sounds louder than that). It might look big on the pictures on the EBS website, but in real life it isn't. Very flexible and powerful amp - clear and tight basic tone with very simplistic and musical tone filters (incredibly easy to dial in great sounds), and tube-driven overdrive and compression. One of these days I will have one of those...!

The EBS HD350 head is even smaller and lighter, but it's "only" rated at 350 W.

4. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    The Walkabout is 300 watts(they upped it). I'm not sure how efficient those Bagends are, but it could drive a Mesa 4x10 with ease.

5. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    I forgot to mention the Euphonic Audio I-Amp 350.

6. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    if weight is what you're worried about -

bass pod/sansamp/or any other preamp
    peavey DPX1400 or Stewartworld 1 space poweramp
    2 space warwick rockbag rack bag

or!

bass pod/sansamp -> acoustic image clarus for a rig you can stick in the pocket of your gigbag.

i dream of the day where i can have that second rig for my "small gig" rig. it's 300w at 4 ohm, which is only 50w less than one channel of my dcm puts out, so me lugging around my rack when i'm only using my goliath jr for gigs is pretty silly. and it's great for upright too.

jason

7. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    WT-400.

8. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I second that.

9. What about an ampet b2r or a b5r? I can't imagine craming that much power into anything smaller

10. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Actually, it's 300W at 2 Ohms... Still a killer rig! These heads sound great to my ears... Someday... Oh yes!

http://bassnw.com/New Amps & Combos/acoustic_image_clarus_300ia.htm

-robert

11. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    yeah i keep messing that up. :rolleyes: maybe someday i'll be able to read something less than 10 times and retain it.

man..imagine it though. bass in the gig bag on your back, amp, sansamp, and cords in the padded case the clarus comes with over your shoulder, and small speaker cabinet of your choice in your hands. ONE TRIP!!! instead of 4 or 5 like my big rig takes now :(

someday....

jason

12. I gotta go with the Eden guys.

They are great amps.

13. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Hmmm...I think I need to check out an Eden! I've heard the Mesa Walkabout was "inspired" by the Eden, and I like the Mesa, so I'd probably like the Eden, too.

14. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I third that. The WT400 is also the lightest amp I've ever owned. It sounds great and for small rooms, it's the perfect solution. And the tone is, well, outstanding.

15. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    The comments about the SansAmp/BassPod into a power amp took awhile to sink in. (It was a late night...)

Hmmm. I have a J-Station I'm rather fond of. I could easily use this as a preamp for a power amp. I'm reading up on the SansAmp now, too - it might be a better DI for me than the J-Station, now that I've given up my g****r aspirations.

I know I can XLR a SansAmp BDDI directly into a power amp. Other than more limited tone controls, what am I giving up with such an arrangement? Who here has made the switch from a head to a SABDDI/power amp rig?

16. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    how about a carvin R600? 600 watts into 4 ohms bridged, or 2x250 watts into 4 ohms stereo. either set up would work well with a pair of bag ends i think. the head is small.. 2 rack spaces i think, its pretty light, under 15 lbs. and can take a helluva beating. i love the sound outta mine, and we all know the stuff is priced to move...

17. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2001
    The Midwest of USA
    I've a '92 Woods amp, that I used to drive a Bag End 15 (now use a couple Acme 2x10's when I'm home). Sounds great, and very portable. Power is at 350watts x2. The only down thing is last time I talked to Walter there is now a year wait for one.

18. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Who here has made the switch from a head to a SABDDI/power amp rig?

Lately I've scaled down my rack rig to SABDDI -> compressor -> power amp.

19. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    i'm curious. what power amp are you using with the SABDDI?

20. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Your Stewart World 2.1?