Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Want a new instruction book HELP?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by UrbanAssault415, Jul 15, 2005.

1. first off if this is the wrong forum please move

Im looking for a new instruction book i finished Mel Bay's Electric Bass Method-1 a long time ago. I learned to read with this book before i started lessons but it was very boring and didnt explain the theory behind what u were playing so i dont want to get the second. Im not a beginer but im not an expert. I would also like if it was not tab, but its of ok if it has both tab and standard notation. I was thinking about Hal Leonard Electric Bass Method - Second Edition (the one with 3 books in it) but i didnt really get a good look at it so i dont know how good it is. so please :help:

2. Daniel L.

Daniel L. Guest

Aug 30, 2002
    The Hal Leonard "Bass Method" series is great and would be a perfect next step for you. It's one of the better, if not the best, series to move you from a beginner to an intermediate player. There is a lot of material to be covered in these books, so it will take you awhile. I highly recommend them.

3. seanlava

seanlava

Apr 14, 2005
    +1

This is the only modern method I use with my students, mostly for the reason that it doesn't use tablature (not right away, anyhow) and stresses fundamental musical skills, like reading and creating grooves in various rhythmic styles. It incorporates elements of music theory in practical examples as well, which helps with retaining this information. I used to use the Mel Bay method, which does teach in a graded, methodical manner, but the book is hopelessly out of date in terms of musical styles.

4. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
  5. Syeknom

Syeknom

Oct 17, 2004
    Leuven, Belgium
    That book is really awesome =)

6. Bezo

Bezo

Aug 10, 2004
    I like Alfred Publishing books myself. Intermediate and Mastering Electric Bass are pretty good. Standard and tab notation. The format of their books always explains a concept, then gives sample passages to play. And of course, you can transpose their ideas and create your own based on the concept.

Both the intermediate and mastering books touch on rock, jazz, funk, blues and reggae. Check them out here towards the bottom of the page.