Want a new J bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FunkySpoo, Apr 9, 2003.

1. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    OK so I'm looking for a 5 string J bass in the $1200 to $1500 range new or used. I play mostly blues and I play finger style. I'm not a slapper by any stretch but I'd like to learn. Soooo what would you all suggest?

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    American Fender Jazz bass would be what I would go for. You could get an active MIA Jazz within your price range too.

Of course if money was no object I would say F-Bass BN-5. Best sounding, best playing Jazz bass ever!
  3. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Fender Roscoe Beck V
  4. JFN

JFN Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2003
    I got an American Dlx Jazz V FMT from Sweetwater about a month ago for $1500. It sounds and plays great and I'm quite happy with it. The finish and gold plated hardware look nice too. Best of luck.

5. beefhaus2000

Sep 25, 2002
    New Jersey
    Build one for well under that amount...to your specs
  6. I'd go with that, the MIA Deluxe FMT is a very nice bass IMO. Nice slap tone to help you learn :cool:
  7. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I am building a 5 string jazz.

Canary body
    fretless 5 neck with macassar ebony board
    gotoh tuners
    hipshot bridge
    Aguilar OPB3

I have everything but the bridge.

total spent $850. and it has everything that I want and nothing that I don't.

Here is a body shot:

edit:body and neck from warmoth (body from thrift shop)
  8. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    You mean by myself? I can hardly "build" a sandwich
  9. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    c'mon old man...do you have some screw drivers ? Can you apply some sort of finish ?

If I were you, I would put it together and then if you are not comfortable soldering take it to Chuck's and let them wire it for you...

Nothing like seeing a project come together...

I have faith ...you can do it !

edit:speaking of chuck's they still have the best prices in the world. I got my ASB5's from them.
  10. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    have you read that quote from our dear ZuluFunk that you have under your sig ?;) :D :bassist:
  11. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    OLD MAN? Why I oughtta.... wait I have to sit down now. Where's my respirator? Shakes fist feebly.
  12. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I would recommend starting your shopping with a USA Fender. Then move on from there. If you can find a made in USA Schecter that would be nice, too.
  13. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    That's really for the youngin's. I did all that. Now I make enough from all that "doing" and "being' that I can buy what I want. :D So anyway, any more suggestions for some new or used J's?
  14. arcopizz

arcopizz Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2002
    I played one for the first time last week and was truly amazed! It wasn't a flame maple top, or anything like that. It has the 18v active pre in it, but it still had a nice authentic Jazz tone. Not as authentic as a passive reissue, or original, but you could still tell it was a Jazz. The thing I liked best was the quartersawn neck. It was closer to the skinny Jazz neck we all know and love so well. The other 5 models (most of them anyway) are flatsawn and end up with clunky necks. This bass was as light as a feather (swamp ash body), as well. Geez, I think I'm gonna go back to that store and buy that bass!! :p
  15. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    So Fender 5's are still the choice in a J? What about basses like Pedulla Rapture J2 or Mike Lull and stuff like that. I know new those are out of the price range I listed above but how about the used market?

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Would you like to try a USA Custom Shop Schecter you could get one for that price.
  17. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    lulls are an excellent buy. also the pedullas are nice but not as j like as you would think.
  18. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I'd personally contact Adrian myself. I think he might be able to get you exactly what you want right in your range.
  19. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    How about a used lakland or Sadowsky?
  20. I believe I have played a Lakland Skyline J-bass, the Joe Osborn Model. While I only played the 4 string version, it was a pretty dang tight sounding bass.