Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Want a new rig, cabs and all...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassDmb18, Aug 19, 2004.

1. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    I have never owned anything other than combo amps, so I have no idea what I need, or what I'm looking for. No idea what a power-amp does, and eq amp, or how they are even connected to the cabinets.

There is a great deal on a SWR Tower 8x10 which looks sweet to me http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=bass/search/detail/base_pid/482011/

What kind of power amp would go good would this, and would i need an EQ thing? I want to keep it under $2000 :help:

2. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    and whats a pre-amp? Do I need that too? :meh:

3. well there are several things to think about when getting a new rig...

1) what kind of sound do you want?

2) Do you what light weight cabs or do you not mind lugging around hundreds of pounds of gear

3) how much do you wanna spend?

4) how much equipment can your transport in your vehicle

5) do you want a head (preamp and poweramp in one) or a rack set up (preamp and poweramp seperate)

I used to want all of the big stuff....then I had to move it :scowl:

The perfect head for me now is a Traynor YBA200 head (200wtts TUBE,44lbs,built in DI,tuner out,effects loop,INCREDIBLE TONE!!!) and I'm still looking for a cab but am leaning towards a Schroeder (1210 or 1212)

my goal is to get as much sound,as much punch,as much low end,and move as much air as possible with out my cab(s) being above 50 lbs

so think about those things before throwing down a ton o'cash on a rig....

heads you may wanna check into...

Traynor YBA200
    Euphonic Audio Iamp 800
    SWR 900
    Ampeg SVTCL
    Eden WT800

those are some of my favorite heads.

if you want a powerful good sounding package with out breaking the bank...I reccomend getting some Avatar Cabs...great sound low price! and a head with tone that you like (or if you wanna go Pre/Power) check out a Sansamp RBI w/ a poweramp (carvin DCM's work well)

hope that helps! if you have any questions, feel free to PM me!

4. i think you should get a smaller cab(s) trust me a 8x10 is a royal pain in the ass! you could get like 300+ head or go the pre/power route, i would r3ecomend a 2x12 and 2x10 or just a 2x12 or a 2x190 15 combonation. an 8x10 HA could you imagine putting that in a truck you would have to have like 4 guys to get that in

5. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    OK.. Screw the 8's then.

I do want more High and Mids though, I don't play heavy stuff.. Just jam band stuff where I'd be more around my 4 string bass, and occasionally my 5'er.

Say I want 2x10 and a 15 with a 2 in one Power/Pre amp . What brand, or route would I be looking at to keep it under $2000

6. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    Quality over quantity bro.
    For well under $2K you can set yourself up with a lifetime investment-type of rig.
    For example, I'd look at a MesaBoogie 400+ head and a pair of SWR Professional Series cabs like a 4x10 & 1x15 stack.
    Don't throw good money away on crap like the Workingman's series.

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    under $2000....

Presonus Eureka pre $500

Crown CE1000 $450

Schroeder 1210 $700

+ rack case & couple cables and that'll give you an 1100 watt Rig of Doom that will handle most any stage.

:bassist: and that way, you want another tone... just swap out the pre amp, you'll have power and speaker enough to handle whatever you get.

just IM (not so) HO/E

8. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    [drool] :)

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    :smug: I've got an old school 80's Yamaha Pre instead of the Presonus.... but yeah, I love it!
    [​IMG]

If I recall you have the killer *little* SWR rig as well, right?

10. i dont know if this is under 2000 but you can check if you want

QSC power amp PLX1602

BBE BMAX-T tube bass preamp

bergantino HT-322 its a 1x12/2x10 cab

11. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    Im lost and frustrated.. I have no idea what " 2 ohms, 450W @ 4 ohms; or 275W @ 8 ohms and 1,100W @ 4 ohms bridged " means.. :mad:

I feel stupid about this stuff, this is why I been stuck with combos for so long. Plug and play, moron.

12. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    every cabinet has an Ohm rating...

every amp has a power rating @ that Ohm

My Schroeder 1210 is a 4 ohm cabinet... so my Crown CE1000 plugged into it while in "bridged" mode (both channels acting as one) puts out 1100 watts @ that 4 ohm rating.

13. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Personally I like the pre amp/power amp deal. Much more flexible. Shop around, try lot of stuff and don't settle for "good enough". Don't be afraid of looking at used high-end gear. I did that and I've got an outstanding first-class rig for about the money you're talking about spending. I can get it all (rack case, 2 cabinets) in the back seat of my Taurus and that's 750 watts of stuff.

If you have a friend who knows about this stuff to help you shop, all the better. Take your time and shop wisely; don't get in a hurry.

14. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Carvin power amp...

Used GK 2001RB pre

2 GK SBX 410s.... oh ya.

15. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    Well, I'm pretty tickled with it, thanks!
    :)

I'm about to add the matching 1x15. I'm thinking of upgrading the head down the road to the 750. :bag:

16. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    I keep looking at the 750... I really would like one of each bass, rig, effect, etc :smug:

The horn is what has kept me from SWR cabinets... but the preamps are unreal. I used a Grand Prix direct to the PA for rehearsals for a long time (extremely small room). Always sounded great.... I look for them on eBay from time to time.

17. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    I take it the Schroeder 1210 would be good for my tastes, better mid's and highs? Keep helping me please, I'm clueless. I just want something with growl and loudness to stay in the mix.

18. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    You dig DMB... he uses (at least when I saw them a couple years back) SWR rigs with Modulus and Warwick basses. If you like his supra bright and punchy tone, then the SWR stuff is the best I know to get that.

The Schroeders are fuller and deeper with a smoother top end. definately as punchy just a deeper punch (IMO... who knows what it sounds like in YOUR ears)