1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Want a Pick tone Only with fingers

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Mr.INSANE, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Mr.INSANE

Mr.INSANE

Aug 22, 2007
    Im searching for a way to get a pickish tone Ie High gain sounding, But im using fingerstyle, I searched for this and didnt come up with anything sorry if this is asked frequently.

oh and if your going to post "just use a pick" dont even bother posting at all

2. I'm going to say "use finger picks" hope that counts. I think "Alaska" or some other brand, i forget the name, makes some pretty nice picks that can go over your first two fingers. They also come in many different sizes, so i think that would definitely suit you. Oh yes, and top it off with a Jim Dunlop thumb pick, that should work nicely.

3. Mr.INSANE

Mr.INSANE

Aug 22, 2007
    Thanks, Been looking into that.

Although id like todo it by just using amp/bass/effect settings no real changes in my playing style if you get what i mean

4. sublime0bass

sublime0bass

Aug 2, 2007
    Boone, NC
    ask mike watt about "the flipper"

5. The only thing I can think of suggesting is to grow your thumbnail & use that as a pick.

That said it is quite possible to use a pick & tuck it out of the way into the joint of your index finger when you want to use your fingers.

Pete.

6. BassOverflow

BassOverflow

Jul 12, 2007
    Western NC
    Play with your finger nails... that's as close as you're gonna get. Pretend you're holding a pic, but just use the finger nail. Or you can try and play harder, closer to the bridge, but the finger nail will sound more like a pick.

7. Mr.INSANE

Mr.INSANE

Aug 22, 2007
    Bassoverflow: Thanks, Ill try that. It does sound a bit better fingering closer to the bridge.

sublime0bass: What? elaborate

8. Play by the bridge.

9. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    You can try to get a brighter or more attack-oriented tones in various ways, but the trouble is none of them will get the harmonics happnin' off the strings like a hard object. If it's a technique/comfort issue, you've already got some good suggestions for alternative pick choices.

10. AndretheBassist

AndretheBassist

Jul 12, 2007
    Grow your fingernails out some and play near the bridge and strike the edge of the string with your finger nails. It's a pretty cool sound that gets the "trebleish" sound you might be looking for. It's not a pick REPLACEMENT but it gets a similar sound.

However, it's hard to not play like that after you've got your fingernails that long so you might want to only use it on a finger or two.

11. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Not possible as your fingers are undoubtedly softer and fatter than a pick (not saying you got fat hands, just that if your fingers are as skinny as a pick, you got bigger problems!).

Boost your gain, mids, and treble a bit - that *might* help. IDK though.

12. Boost some highs and mids, finger aggressively.

13. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    I've seen some classical guitar players make a "fake" fingernail by cutting one out of a ping-pong ball, and super-gluing it to the end of their real nail. More projection.

14. nastyn8c

nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    What exactly is it about picked tone that you want to emulate? The sound you want changes the advice.

For example, I like the attack of a pick, but dislike the lack in fundamental compared to fingerstyle. Sometimes that sounds good, but the closest I ever get is using my fingernail when doing chordal work.

15. nastyn8c

nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    If I ever saw anyone do that, I would LMFAO! I love the things musicians do to experiment with tone, and I do some weird things myself.

16. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    They do it because if they break a nail---they have a spare.

17. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    With a pick, you're losing fundamental because you're likely resting your hand on the bridge and picking very near the bridge. I know you don't want to use a pick, but the solution to getting the pick sound is so simple and cheap. It's a little different technique, but give it a chance.

18. JebSmells

JebSmells

Jul 23, 2007
    UK
    can i ask why you do not wish to use a pick?

and following up about the use of ping pong balls as nails, a hell of a lot of flamenco and classical players use normal (womens) fake nails, they're stronger, sound like a normal nail and are generally more hard wearing..........from what i've been told:bag:

19. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Bunny Brunel played with really long nails when I saw him in the early 80's with Chick Corea. Sounded so good it inspired me to grow my nails an try it out. It's super hard to keep then from breaking and I ended up with fake nails. It worked well with the EBG but not with the upright so I ended up ditching the idea. Something several guitarists who used their nails told me is that the glue that you use for the fake ones makes your real nails so thin and weak that they become useless for playing and they avoided it at all costs.

It did make me realize though that the only practical way to get a pick sound is to use a pick. Getting good with the pick is handy if you're doing gigs where it's requested or obviously appropriate and it can be a nice break from using fingers if they're getting sore.

20. theunknowndude

theunknowndude Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2007
    Adelaide, Australia
    hmm I can only play pick cos im an ex guitarist.
    Because of where I have my bass I actually pick closer to the neck or in between my humbuckers,... have alot more control over tone and quality of sound (and different types) with a 2.0mm stubby jim dunlop pick :)

not quite sure why you dont want to use a pick but id much rather a normal pick over thumb/finger picks etc?