Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Want a Rumblefish? - A Few Available Direct from Reverend

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JessRobinson, Oct 31, 2005.

1. JessRobinson

JessRobinson Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2004
    Fairfax, VA
    I’m a huge fan of Reverend products – I own a Rumblefish XL bass and a Slingshot guitar – and am saddened to see that they’re closing down production of virtually their entire American line and going the Korean import route. Joe Naylor and company stopped making basses about a year ago, and soon will be producing only their “Joe Vito” guitar line stateside. :crying:

But the good news is – for those who are still looking for a Rumblefish bass – that Reverend has put up a few NOS and demo ‘Fishes on their web site:

http://www.reverendguitars.com/reverend/instock_specials.html

I know there are a lot of Rumblefish fans here on TB. I think they’re terrific basses and will become collectors items with time. Now’s your last chance to buy one direct from Joe Naylor.

Enjoy.

2. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Alas, all J/J pups, I already have a 5L for that...if they had a P/J I might be in...

What I wonder now is if the move to Korea might bring back bass production? That'd be great!

3. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    they look great. pardon my ignorance but are these good basses ? what kind of tone from the j/j ?

4. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    They're aswesome basses. Play like a 40 year old well setup Fender due to nicely beveled edges on the fingerboard.
    The JJ config is switchable from poles in phase, out of phase, and both pups stacked into one big fat pickup.

I have a 5L J/J, and a Brad Houser 5 with stacked twin JJ humbuckers in each position. I love them both dearly. Fat, punchy, clean, bright if you like, or roll the tone off and put on flats for huuuge thump.

5. JessRobinson

Dec 29, 2004
    Fairfax, VA
    I think they’re great. Semi-hollow, light, fast jazz neck, hot passive J pups that’ll give you a good growling tone, detailed workmanship all around, cool retro design. If you do a search on this forum you’ll find a number of the brethren singing their praises.

6. JessRobinson

Dec 29, 2004
    Fairfax, VA
    Chef - Your description is right on. But I think the ones up for grabs are the older version JJ's, not the XL's, so they don't have the sereies/parallel/humbucker switch. I think they'll just run vol/vol/tone with no switch.

Jess

7. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    passive right ? correct me if i am wrong but aren't the backs of these basses some kind of synthetic material ?

8. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Jess: duely noted, and correct by looking at the pics...

DZ: yes, passive, and even my "Walnut toppped" BH5 is not wood, but rather 1970's den paneling;) I can't speak to the ones currently on the website...

9. JessRobinson

Dec 29, 2004
    Fairfax, VA
    The front and back are made of a phenolic resin. Check the Reverend website for further details on construction - basses use same construction as the American Series guitars. It may be rather unconventional but it works like a charm.

10. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Yes it does.
    The semi hollowbody retains the punch and clarity of a solid body thru use of the tone block in the center of the body, but has a little more woody/warmth due to the chambered body design.

Can you tell I like them?

11. it's a good thing there are no 5's left or i'd be fighting a serious urge.

12. I bought one of the ones from the site a day or two ago, will be here on Tuesday. :hyper:

I bought it based on reviews here as well as the Harmony Central Reviews.

I look forward to playing it.

13. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,
    Last week there was a nice blue P/J in that school of Fish that was gone pretty quick. I've missed out twice in a week. First that Lava Swirl Brad Houser gone in a blink on the bay, and then the blue P/J from the factory.
    Rumor time. They're listening.......so if any of you are interested in offshore made Reverend Basses in the future, now is the time to let them know. Joe Naylor is a stickler for detail and wouldn't allow for substandard made stuff.
    Rezdog

14. I got it today. :eek:

First impression is awesome! Neck is perfect, the best neck I've touched, IMO, in a long time. Threw a strap on it and it sits perfect for playing out. Super light, probably around 8lbs.

I played it through an amp at low level, sounded great.

I think I need another...

15. They're great basses. I have an XL and am addicted to the fatness of the "both pickups in series" setting. They are pro quality instruments.

16. There are still nine of those special ones left! This is killing me.. slowly..

17. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I got a mahogany one--#12, and it's the best of three 'fish I have! I can't believe there are any left!

18. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    I wish I hadn't seen this thread!! I want the Mahogany so bad I can taste it, and I live ten minutes away from the shop!! Must control G.A.S.

19. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    There are several of Reverend 5 strings currently available...

when they're gone they're gone!