1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Want a tight B string!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassplayershane, Sep 12, 2008.

1. I have a 5501 with Warwick Black Label strings on it but find the tension on the B string isn't as tight as I would like it. Has it got to do with the gauge or brand, or something else. I think he Warwick stings are 45 - 135. Should change them to 130 on the B string.:meh:

2. soulgaard1

soulgaard1

Aug 1, 2005
    Copenhagen
    i use laklands own strings (medium 45-128) on my 5502 with good results.
    The b-string is tight enough for me.
    all the laklands i tried have had a more-than-average tight b-string.

3. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    I have a 55-01 and it has the tightest b string I have ever played... much tighter and I dunno if its possible.

4. If you change them to 130, you will loose tension. Remember that the higher the gauge the higher the tension. As far as I remeber Black Labels are tapered strings and IME they tend to vibrate more, so you might wanna try a non-tapered B string.

5. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Another 55-01 user who is happy with his B string's performance. I've used Laklands stainless steels and liked them just fine (.128 B string). I've had big heavy strings (.130, .135) on the B before and I find that it's counter-productive. The big gauge makes it feel floppier, not tighter.

KO

6. Try something like DR Lo-Riders.

7. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    I'm told the reason the Laklands have a tighter B-String is their fivers only come in 35in scale. they refuse to make a 34" because it won't sound right.

8. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    Make sure you saddle height and relief are proper. Low action on the B can make it feel looser IME. If you like the setup on the rest of the bass, just raise the B saddle a little.

9. anonymous073020132

anonymous073020132 Guest

Dec 15, 2007
    USA
    DR Long Necks tapered B strings are tight even in drop tunings. Bright tone, aggressive mids & sweet low end growl.

10. steve4765630

steve4765630

Feb 27, 2006
    Just beware of the funny overtones above the 12th fret. They almost always get a warbley sound up there. It must be the taper. The B string is tight, but I can't deal with the rest of the strings.