want an acoustic for jammin...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funkopotimus, Apr 28, 2001.

1. i jammed with some cool folks yesterday at a party just all of us singin and stuff, a 12 string acoustic and a klong yaw and a shaker made out of a piece of plastic pipe duct tape and beans, also some pringles cans and elastic bands! haha, it was a laugh, but i really wish i had an acoustic now....cause i think i might get to hang with these guys more often, plus i can use it when my church group goes dowtown on the streets for stuff...anyways yeah, so a quick question...

the selection of acoustic basses here is pretty small, it seems the nicest i've tried was probably a hohner, does anybody know much about this bass? also can anybody reccomend any other good ones? i dont like the washburns i've tried, or the fenders very much(cause i havent found one with a cut away body)

anyways thanks a lot all, also i wanna keep it cheap as possible cause if i get it soon it'll be da and mom payin it seeing how i get very little money cause i'm not old enough to work...
  2. ha, that was post 700, go me! ha

sorry..and now back to my question
  3. I've got a Hohner TWP600B.
    WARNING- don't expect to be heard if you play this bass unplugged alongside a guitarist- you'll need an amp.

it's great for practising alone though.
    I've pulled the frets out of mine- you can hear it in the main loop in the "Lack of Knowledge" track on my Mock turtle regulator mp3.com page linked in my signature below *blatant plug #5*

in the april issue of BP there's a mention of this bass in the gear makeover feature- my bass is identical (apart from being defretted) to the one that Michelle Shocked's bass player has.
    in the article his bass had developed problems with the body bowing- on mine the top has distorted very slightly near the bridge, but it's barely noticeable.

if you can find an Epiphone El Capitan going cheap, go for it- they're great basses.
  4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    If I wanted to be heard, I would go for something like a Pignose and forget the acoustic. I have a Washburn AB20, and have tried several acoustics and my experience is: none were loud enough to be heard over several instruments playing at once. The loudest one I have played was a dobro looking one made by Regal (I didn't think it sounded that great). It was fairly inexpensive; a little over $300, if I remember correctly.
  5. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    Don't get one,

I had one before, and there's nothing I dislike more.
    There's no point in getting an acoustic bass, and then to plug it in an amplifier to prevent yourself from getting buried by some nylon stringed acoustic g**tar.
  6. damn it this sucks, i really wanted one, theres none?!?!?!?! nothing is loud enough! this sucks, i really want one...is there anything?
  7. I have found Ovation acoustic basses to be surprisingly loud (for the size of the body)....so the cheap Applause version might be worth checking out (the roundback takes some getting used to though)
  8. so whats the point of these acoustics if they're not loud enough to jam with acoustic guitars?

that doesnt make sense to me!!!

how much are those little pig noses, i dont know where to get anything like those....
  9. ok those look cool but it has like no description, are they loud or what? and is online the only place to buy them?
  10. ok dude, i want one now, is it powerful enough for a bass, cause its made for a guitar
  11. does anyone know if its powerful enough for a bass, cause it seems to be made for a guitar......

also can it really be as nice as they say!?!?! i think i'm gonna buy it and find out, i'm pretty sure i have enough cash.....
  12. ok sounds liike it might work, possibly, hahahaha, yup, so steve is gonna buy one, as soon as he gets the chance!
  13. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I have an Ibanez, one of the 32" scale ones, B30 or something like that. Very cool bass and surprisingly well-made given the low price (I paid $418 at GC). Onboard piezo is strong, too. These things are great for the opening "unplugged" set at a restaurant or club where volume is a problem.
  14. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    a dobro bass, does that mean it has a resonator or something?
  15. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    There is a Pignose that is made for bass; the Hog30. I have seen them for $139.
  16. I agree it sucks butit seems they all are like this. All I can tell you is to find the biggest body acoustic you can find.
  17. I mostly jam with acoustic instruments and for me the answer is the Pignose Hog 30 from American Musical Supply for $139.
  18. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

OK...so this is something right up my alley. I am (as some of you probabbly know by now), primarily a solo bassist, and as such I primarily play an Acoustic Bass Guitar (or more recently a semi-acoustic Jack Casady Signature bass). Why? There is a totally different response from a hollow body instrument than from a solid body. I find it much more suitable to my highly chordal approach. The acosutic instrument gives something back that a wholly electric, solid body does not. Not to knock solids...I love 'em too. And play them a lot...for a different kind of tone.
    Even plugged in, and acoustic instrument has a different tone and response from a soild instrument. Of course the type of pick-up used has a big effect on this. But, a hollow, or semi-hollow instrument has a certain "air", and openess and richness in the tone that even a piezo-equipped solidbody cannot approach.
    I own several ABGs (and am looking at more!)....but let's face it, NO ABG can compete unamplified. It is simply a matter of physics. In order to move enough air to produce that big, low fundamental tone you need a massive structure and body cavity (think about it...there is a reason that the Upright Bass is SOOOOO big!). Most ABGs (like Washburn AB20 or the Hohner you spoke of) have thinner body shapes. This limits the production of low end fundamental. In fact, what these basses excell at is acoustic production of the 2nd harmonic which they masquerade as the fundamental frequency, hence their pronounced mid-range, "acoustic-guitar" type tone.One of the ABGs I have is a Dean PerformerPlus, which, in addition to having a very thin, and small body size (the body is smaller than a dreadnaught guitar), also has a 32" scale. Yes, the un-amped sound is a bit puny ( I would never go up against a gtr or mandolin un-amped here), but it's tonal quality is very "chord-friendly", and also slap friendly (something which is difficult on a ABG). So I like it.
    The only ABG I have found that has any true bottom and volume is the old Ernie Ball Earthwood Bass......which is based upon the design of the "guitaronne" found in Mariachi bands. This bass is HUGE....very cumbersome and a physical chore to play. But it can compete sans-amp with an acoustic guitar. All others, incl. Martin, Taylor, Guild, Epi's El Capitan and Tacoma B1, while sometimes having a bit of respectable volume, really cannot keep up with smaller acoustic instruments. To paraphrase Rick Turner, if you wanna play acoustic bass ya gotta plug it in.....
    Oh, I could go on and on about this.....then there is the impedence difficulties of piezo pick-ups, low-end feedback, phase cancellation.....hmmmm maybe I should submit an indepth article to TB just on this particular subject.....
    I have demo'd most of the ABGs out there (the affordable and expensive ones) if you have any specific questions please feel free to e-mail me.
  19. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    That's how I started playing double bass!

The singer and the guitarist in a rock band I was in years ago were playing on the streets, it looked fun and I wondered how I could join them. So we joked about me getting a double bass, yeah sure ha-ha. Mentioned this to a studio technician while making a demo, and he knew a guy who had a DB for sale. So I bought my first DB (7/8 Czech hybrid) on impulse about 12 years ago for approx. $550.

Recommended! Great pain, great sound, great fun.
  20. The age old problem of being heard with an ABG....

I have a Sigma (Korean made Martin) ABG and although it is made to very high quality standards, It like the overall majority of ABG's out there doesn't cut thru...I use a Pignose "Hog-30" rechargeable amp every time I play outside. I use a compressor with it as well and it pumps up the volume very nicely. I have played extended campfire jam sessions against 3 & 4 acoustic g**tars with no problem and headroom to spare.

I know it seems kinda cheesey to have to plug in an ABG, but all things considered, when your around a campfire with all acoustic bodied instruments around you ya still fit in a hell of alot better than if you were sitting there with an electric solid body bass out in the middle of no where...at least I feel I do.