Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

want an amp for under 400 bucks

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brothertupelo, Aug 8, 2005.

1. brothertupelo

brothertupelo Guest

Aug 7, 2005
    hi, i'm new here. hope this is the right place for this.
    i have been playing for a few years, but just got into a band this summer.
    my current amp just doesn't cut it when i'm playing with a band. i have to crank it all the way up just to her myself.
    i don't want to spent more than 350-400 dollars, but i need a decent amount of volume and hopefully decent clean and growly tones as well.
    i may buy a used one if i find a bargain, but i don't really know what i should be looking for.

2. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    used svt 3 pro.

if you can find one and tweak it just right, it can get pretty loud.

tweak it the wrong way.....and you get no headroom.

3. brothertupelo

brothertupelo Guest

Aug 7, 2005
    thanks. i have no idea what headroom is, though.

4. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    I've had problems with the volume of an SVT-3... 'course that was a horribly loud band. I sent a pmsg about an SM-400 I'd like to sell.. much louder and cuts through better. Even if you don't like mine... they can be had for less than $400 regularly and sound way better than their newer solid state preamp models.

5. hihi.

you definitly shoudl check out the amps FAQ sticked at the top of the forum - lots of discussions on impediance, watts vs. decibels and headroom, etc. these are the kinda terms worth having a basic knowledge about when buying an amp (impedance vs. watts is a no brainer, you NEED to know this but headroom and EQing will definitely asist you).

as far as recomendations go id says:
    Peavey fire/nitrobass + 4x10 (or 2x10 if you don't need the extra 10's) - used or new
    used ashdown - versatile, medium weight and efficent - and GROWLY.

trace elliot. just do it. :p

i'd do a search as well, such as "best [insert music genre] amp" or something similiar !

hope that helps a bit!

make sur eyou browse over www.ebay.co.uk lotta great deals going down.

6. i'll agree with the weegie for once, peavey firebass + a 4x10, 2x10 or 1x15 second hand is pretty cheap for a solid good sounding rig

7. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I think he wants a combo amp.

8. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Methinks you're right; he needs the whole thing, not just a head. But I'm not sure he wouldn't prefer a head/cab to be heard in that band.

Welcome to TB, brothertupelo, and yes you're in the right place.

My advice: DON'T BUY YET! Save up another $150 - $200. Unless you find a *great* used deal, you're just a little bit under what it will take to get something you'll be satisfied with. If you spend your $350-$400 now, you won't get what (it sounds like) you're looking for. But for $550-$600, you can.

Once you have about $550 - $600 in hand, look here (specifically at the Ashdown MAG300H + cab deals; add the B212 and it's about the cheapest new "real rig" out there, and surprisingly good):

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/

BTW, what are you using now?

9. brothertupelo

brothertupelo Guest

Aug 7, 2005
    rocktron rb20. it's worthless for anything but my bedroom, although the bass itself is pretty decent...
    any you're right, i forgot to put "combo" amp in the thread title when i started it, which IS what i am looking for.
    anyway, from this site and another one i posted on, it seems people like ashdown amps.

10. toddcotham

toddcotham

May 12, 2005
    Lubbock, TX
    Ashdown makes me happy. You might check out an Electric-Blue combo by Ashdown. I've heard both good and bad about them but it sounds like it might suit you well.

11. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    How loud do you need it to play? An Ampeg B100R is a great sounding combo that plays louder than any 100 watt amp I know of. I has alot of punch to cut through. Check the reviews. Louder? Consider going DI and using the amp for stage monitor. There are a couple on EBAY now and you could probably get one for around $300. New they run $500.

12. CanadianBass48

CanadianBass48

May 8, 2005
    Ont, Can
    http://www.music123.com/Crate-BT100-i131254.music?t=4#tab

Ya, check it out. sounds like a good one for new. Ya, if you can get a good amp on ebay then go for it man. I agree with the others though. If you can save 200 more then you can get a sweet Ashdown combo amp. If I could buy my rig over again I would have bought a 300 mag head and a 4 10" cab and a 15" cab for under 1000. Very sweet stuff, ashdown.