Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

want an upright

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by bigg_o, Jan 8, 2004.

1. bigg_o

bigg_o

Jan 8, 2004
    kansas
    I'm lookin for an upright that isn't too expensive some where between $1500-$3000 dollars. I've never played one before, but want to learn bad. A guy at a music store showed me an eastman. If anybody has any suggestions please put them down.

2. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Hi Bingo, welcome to TalkBass !

First : Find your way to the NEWBIE LINKS at the top of each section in this forum, and spend some time reading them.

Second : A DB player should learn fast enough the difference between a music store and a luthier shop.

Third: I've red good things about Eastman instruments. Make sure it's well setup (who are you buying it from ?)

3. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Welcome Bigg_ho

I just bought my first URB also. I followed the advise of the seasoned vets here and read the newbie links over and over again.
    Lots of info there.
    Also play as many basses as you can get you hands on, new and old.
    Leave money in the budget for a good set up.
    I wound up getting a 3 year old Christopher that I'm very happy with.

4. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    Bob Gollihur's website did me a whole lot of good when I was wearing your shoes a few years ago. That's where I started.

5. bigg_o

bigg_o

Jan 8, 2004
    kansas
    I'm thinkin about buying it from a local music store....I'm wondering about somethin else....my dad talked to a guy that said most people nowadays play 3/4 size basses. I was just wondering what I should get. I think I'm big enough to play a full size. Just tell me what you guys think.

6. The person your dad talked to was telling the truth. Most adult players use 3/4 size instruments. A few use 7/8 size instruments, but true full size (4/4) instruments are usually too large for most players to play with comfort.

7. Take the 3/4 and don't give the full size a second thought.

8. Wyzird05

Wyzird05

Dec 1, 2003
    South Bend, IN
    Most people refer to the 3/4 size as the full size b/c it is the largest one that is still easy to get around on. Also I have been impressed with the Eastman violins that I have seen.

9. More often, 3/4 size is referred to as being Standard size.

10. This size thing is also covered a multitude number of times in the Newbie Links and in the Archives...search!

11. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Just to offer a dissenting opinion, not ALL 4/4's are hard to get around on. Modern makers like Solano (which I have) can make some design changes to give a big box ease of playability. The upper range of my Klotz is very sweet and cello like, and although it isn't a solo bass, I'm only 5'7" and get around on it just fine.

That being said, your run of the mill factory bass will probably not have taken much thought in the design to be playable.

12. bigg_o

bigg_o

Jan 8, 2004
    kansas
    thanks everybody for the replies. I'll keep posting about my situation. Now I'm gonna go and save some serious money up. I'm only 16....so i don't know how long it'll take.

13. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Got a job? I could have bought an upright, but the bass guitarist in me got the better of me and i bought an amp that's big enough that i don't have to worry about upgrading any time soon. I'm 17 and i'm packing a 2k watt rig :D I can't use all 2k yet but yeah-back to the subject.

Read newbie FAQS and just when you think you've read them to the point of memorization, go check out [all hail] Bob G's site. Return to the newbie links for a while longer and then you'll be close to being ready. :cool:

Welcome to TB

14. Since you mention your lack of experience and your age, please don't buy your bass from a music store unless they have a BASS luthier on staff. Especially for beginers, it's so important to have a good set-up. Most basses come with a "ball park" type set up which usually doesn't come anywhere near what you'll need to get going. Then, after all is said and done, you're left to still find a luthier and put some more money on the table for a good set up. :crying:

15. Hey I happen to play with one of the finest steel players in south east Kansas. I spoke to him about THE FIDDLE SHOP in Joplin, MO. Last night at the gig, I gave him a bit of advise abut an old Kay Bass I had for years and how the fiddle shop did some repairs on it when it needed them. Im sure some might be a little scared when they see (Fiddle) in the name but I assure you he is a first rate luthier.

SPUD WURLY ROCKS!! :bassist: