1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Want Great Music Together

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by bass4worship, Dec 8, 2018.

1. bass4worship

bass4worship Ready For Freddy, let rock Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Sebring, Florida
    Listening make great bands

The single most important part of playing in the pocket, though, is that you must listen to the other musicians. Only when the drummer listens to the bass player — and the bass player listens to the drummer — can you groove together. The other musicians must listen to the bass and drums, and the bassist and drummer must listen to them. Why? Because as the musicians play together, each will make almost microscopic adjustments to their own parts so they’ll work better with the rest of the musicians. Only when that happens will a group of musicians truly be playing in the pocket.

jon mccumber and WayneP like this.
  2. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Yes!

No ears you have?

th5KROGU5O.

yoda fail.

th.

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

3. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    Sounds great in theory.. but you left out one important item.. chemistry.
    I've had the "pleasure" of playing both guitar and bass with some nationally ranked top tier musicians - who were as sterile as a wrapped syringe. No chemistry.. but VERY talented. The band was tight, but sterile. Little enjoyment.
    I've also played with less talented folks, with whom it's been awesome... the chemistry was there, the band was tight and much enjoyment ensued.

PS: I don't make my living from playing...so maybe my perspective differs.

4. You hit on a very important facet of musicianship. Ensemble playing. It’s just as important as technique, theory, etc. And it can only be achieved by playing with others. It includes intonation, balance, dynamics, tempo, and group communication.

For those of us who are products of school band programs, we get this experience early and often. For those that learn privately, or are self taught, the only way to acquire this skill is playing with others.