Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Want more aggressive tone from 55-01

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Rumzini, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Just like the title says. Can the pickup covers be removed? Would it make any tonal difference? Would the pole pieces be seen then? Has anyone done this? Otherwise what should I do for a more???

2. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Can you describe aggressive, are you looking for more grind (high mid edge) or a fatter Tube type of breakup. The Grind problem can sometimes be as simple as strings. The other one usually can be helpped with a foot pedal.

3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    The covers cannot be removed. The pickup is epoxied into the cover. Even if you could remove the cover, it would have no effect on the sound. The plastic cover does not interfere with the pickup's operation.

If I were you, I would sell the 55-01 and get a 55-02 and equip it with Duncan pickups. I think that you will be much happier.

4. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI

I guess the sound of Justin Chancellor of TOOL....I know he has quite a different animal with his Wal but....
    Lets put it this way.....lately I've been using a pick and loving it. I have a B-Max so I'm getting as much fat bottom as I want...to much. Anyways I ramble and I guess I'm looking for that cleaner, hotter sounding, more responsive????

5. opivy3056

opivy3056 Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    Justin chancellor is a string fiend, get some stainless steel strings (rotosounds, hi-beams...ect) on your bass and boost the upper midrange on the EQ and you'll come a lot closer to sounding like him. (sans amp can literally nail it)

6. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I have Ken Smith strings on it now....I do have some DR low rider and someDR extra longs also