1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Want more gain in my sound, What about the Sansamp rack stuff?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bad Seed, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Bad Seed

Bad Seed

Dec 5, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    So I went to a local show last night and most of the guys had a decent size rack (3-6 peices), but they sounded good. Most had a sound that seemed to be driven, like boosted, or with more gain or something. I'm bad with desribing sound, but I was thinking of Sansamp RBI? I had the SansAmp bass driver DI and I wasn't too crazy over it. If anyone has clips that would be cool too.

Oh yea, I'm running a SVT3 Pro with 4x10 Ampeg cab

Thanks and I hope I made sense:D

2. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    I think the Sansamp RPM is your ticket.

3. Bad Seed

Bad Seed

Dec 5, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    do you have any sound clips of it?

4. parsons

parsons

Feb 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I have the RBI and its great but I dont go for a crazy over driven sound. I like a nice warm fat tube sound with a hint of bite. If you are going for that, get an RBI. If you want more of a guitar style distortion go for the RPM or the PSA 1.1 from Sansamp. For me, the RBI rules.

5. Bad Seed

Bad Seed

Dec 5, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Sweet man, you have any sound clips of it? I just want a little more bit like your saying, where the sound just starts to break up distortion wise.

6. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I have a Sansamp RBI rackmount & I'm not that big a fan of it. That could be unfair compared to my Eden Navigator though which I highly recommend for tonal varieties

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Just for clarity's sake, "gain" just means how much the signal is "turned up". It doesn't necessarily mean any distortion, overdrive, etc. Guitarists get distortion whenever they turn up the "gain" on their small tube amps, which is why there's that confusion. So you want distortion; more "gain" in a device that isn't designed to distort will not get you what you want.

Check out the Aguilar AGRO- there are soundclips of it in at least one of the threads you'll find on it.

8. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Its funny cause turning up the gain on that bad boy does give it a raspy sound which I don't care for but if thats what you like the preamp may not be that bad

9. Bad Seed

Bad Seed

Dec 5, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    sorry for the confusion, it's more of a gain sound I guess, man I wish I could pinpoint the sound of it.

10. you were listening to these players through the PA or were you hearing the sound from the stage?

11. Bad Seed

Bad Seed

Dec 5, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    PA I imagine, all the cabs were turned away from the crowd

12. Trying to find names for sounds is a really hard thing to do. Just bear in mind that our recommendations are based on what WE think YOU mean by "more gain". In my book- you would get that from turning your tube drive knob right down on the 3 pro whilst playing at high volumes.

13. Then its possible you were just listening to the bass/DI and the sound you're after might be found in a new bass? Just throwin it out there..

Buy a Sabre.
    :D

14. Bad Seed

Bad Seed

Dec 5, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    every bass was a fender P or J. I've confused everyone, that's my fault.

I want more of a gain sounds then distortion. Maybe a compressor would do it? I don't know man, I've never fooled with any of this stuff, this is my first rack build. I'll try to find a clip of the sound.