Want my P to thump

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassbully43, Oct 20, 2005.

1. bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    ;) I have a SX P bass which sounded great stock but i want to mod it to have a blues thump i crave. I added Duncan Performers and power flats and have it close but really think i could get it better. Would new pots and cap help....should i try 500ks over the stock 250k pots and what cap would help?

2. not really...if anything 500K's will "open up" your sound and make your bass more transparent sounding.

I think a 0.1 uF (a.k.a. 100 pF) capacitor is more of what you're after, as it will give you more roll-off of treble, leaving behind more of that bassy "thump"
  3. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    What amp/cab are you using?
  4. bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    I have a GK 210...300w but play also thru a band members ampeg 4 a SVT i think and a 2x15. I want to add a 15 cab to my 210 to get a bit more mids from the 10s and bottom from the single 15 ...i think the two 15s are loud but can get muddy. I thought i needed to get the bass sound first and then amp and eq second ...but maybe not.
  5. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Try some flatwounds.
  6. bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Done that ...trying to clean up the tone and get it more thump less bump :p
  7. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Perhaps you should describe what you mean by thump. Examples?

For me, P + flats = thump in its purest form.
  8. My 2001 MIM P no longer thumps.

Shortly after buying it, I replaced the strings with TI Jazz Flats. These are a wonderful string with a middy tone over a very long life. I suspect these strings do not thump.

I replaced the MIM pickup with a Duncan SPB-2, Hot for P. This is a VERY mid-rangey pickup and wasn't at all what I wanted. Perhaps it was the combo of SPB-2 and TI Flats..

I replaced the Duncan with a DiMarzio Will Power Middle. This tamed the middy thing quite a bit, plus gave me the option of wiring in series/parallel. I find this useful.

Still no thump. I'm thinking a string changed to either DA Chrome Flats or Labella Deep Talkin' Flats is in order. Either is much easier than a pickup swap.
  9. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    TIJF's are wonderful but that ephasis on harmonic content and the kind of woody sound cut's down on 'thump or thud'. I haven't tried the Labellas. I use Chromes on my fretless, I may try a set on my P just to hear. Chromes are also a very 'detailed' sounding string with a lot of harmonic content. They really sing on a fretless. I prefer them to the TIJF for the higher string tension they provide.

I used the old Fender 9050 flat for a long time. Mostly on an L1000. Excessively bright for a couple of weeks. When they settle in they thud like there is no tomorrow though.

The other string I would like to try for a flat is the Rotosound Steve Harris. I've heard good things about them.
  10. Matt H

Matt H

Jul 30, 2005
    Ithaca, NY

.1uF is NOT the same as 100pF

.1uF= 100nF=100,000pF