1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Want new custom bass - like Fodera!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pedulla1, Apr 11, 2010.

1. pedulla1

pedulla1

May 14, 2005
    NYC
    Hi all. I own a Smith bse5gn that is such a joy to play but being a bass player of course I want something somewhat different - like a Fodera! I don't want to shell out that much and have a bit of cash from a recent sale. I know R-bass and Stambaugh and M-bass can produce body shapes and woods along the lines of Foderas. Seems like I would just need electronics like Duncan pu's and Pope preamp to get me close. I like NT basses. Are there any more luthiers I should consider? Thanks and sorry for the long post.

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think STR is worth considering too.

3. pedulla1

pedulla1

May 14, 2005
    NYC
  4. Dark Horse

Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

A guy with the screen name "Pedulla1" owns a Smith, but wants a Fodera !

:D

A builder you really don't see mentioned a lot (probably because he only builds a few basses a year) is Karl Hoyt. He builds really beautiful basses. I'm not sure if he would want to build something "Fodera influenced" or not, but it couldn't hurt to ask. His prices are EXTREMELY reasonable as well.

[​IMG]

5. pedulla1

pedulla1

May 14, 2005
    NYC
    Dude that fret-less and the one on the bottom left are STUNNING! Thanks I will do some research on Hoyt.

On the name thing - yes I am a gas-sy person LOL.

6. Dark Horse

Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

Glad I can help. Karl seems like a great guy too, though I've only had minimal email correspondence with him.

I had to give you a bit if **** on the name. It's my nature.

:)

7. Virgil

Virgil She's My Inspiration Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2005
    Dresher, Pa.
  8. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
  9. pedulla1

pedulla1

May 14, 2005
    NYC
    The Ristola looks great but I definitely do not want a bolt-on. Thanks much.

The May bass looks interesting also...

10. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    http://www.chrislarkinguitars.com/

They can get pricey if you start tagging on the options, but the base cost is very reasonable. I'd put the builr quality of these on par with (or surpassing) any other builder out there.

11. pedulla1

pedulla1

May 14, 2005
    NYC
    Larkin looks OK. Something about the body shape doesn't grab me. Plus shipping from overseas...

12. Stambaugh is certainly capable of many things, but stuff with a strong Fodera vibe seems to be a specialty. That was more or less the goal of mine and I was extremely satisfied.

While Cliff Bordwell hasn't really jumped on that boat, I'd think he'd be capable of something similar. Everything is set-neck, which probably doesn't make a huge difference. I have one that was a bit of a Pedulla Buzz with a few personal spins. I have another on order.

13. pedulla1

pedulla1

May 14, 2005
    NYC
    Have you had the chance to A/B the Stammie with a Fodera?

14. Don't forget about our own Wisler, he makes some great basses.

lowsound

15. p0k

p0k I play the bass and design things. Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Brockton, MA
    skjold.

16. It had been several years since I got to play and hear a Fodera. To be honest, mine was spec'd very differently from the Fodera I played. This was a 34" or 35" scale 6er with Aero J pickups. Mine is a 33" scale Stambaugh with EMG PJ pickups and a Pope pre, along with a Kahler.

17. Dark Horse

Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Here's another Karl Hoyt creation -

partingshots005.

partingshots010.

18. pedulla1

pedulla1

May 14, 2005
    NYC
    Beautiful work of art!