Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Want new pickups in MIM Fender Jazz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TJBass, Apr 15, 2002.

1. Which should I get? I heard somewhere that the MIM jazz pickups were the same not matter if they were neck or bridge pickups but my bridge pickup is slightly longer? Any info? BTW my Jazz is brandnew and has the vintage style knobs if that helps with what year it was born.

Jay

2. Old Blue

Old Blue

Mar 18, 2000
    Texas
    I got a used Mexi-Jazz last year. Nice instrument, but yes, the stock pickups were weak! I solved that problem by replacing them with a set of Fender American Standard pickups. Ahhh.... MUCH better!

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Up until the 2001 models, the MIM did have two neck pickups and strat style knobs. So, in order to put in any normal sized replacements, you had to file out the bridge cavity so the pickup would fit in the route.

That's what I did, and I threw in some Barts. (Smoooooooooth. :D)

They fixed that problem on the newest models. Now the bridge pickup is the correct size, which means you should have no trouble dropping in some replacements.

4. JeremyBender

JeremyBender

Oct 22, 2001
    NY
    I opted for the Seymour Duncan "Vintage" pickups. They are noiseless and cheap, and offer very nice cut and punch. THey have a nice warm sound to them. I will buy Barts once I can afford to spend the extra cash. I would have waited, but I couldnt stand the forsaken buzz with the stock pickups!

5. What did you pay for the SD Vintage pickups and are these the "Antiquities?"

6. JeremyBender

JeremyBender

Oct 22, 2001
    NY
  7. Are there any pickups that are as good but a little cheaper?

8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Sets of DiMarzio Model J's can be found for $89. If money is an issue, however, I would suggest saving up for a decent set. You can expect to pay at least for the DiMarzio's if you want to see any marked improvment in your tone.

9. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    Most decent sets of pickups seem to run somewhere around $100 for the set. Seymour Duncan Antiquities are a bit more, at around $150. I put Fender Original '62 pickups in my MIM Fretless Jazz, and I love them. They're very growly and produce plenty of clear, clean highs. I paid about $95 after tax.

-Shin

10. Where do you purchase decent pickups at a good price? Shin, where did you get the fender pups?

11. I have a MIM jazz with two neck pickups...about how much routing do you need to do, and what kind of tools would I need for that?

12. Old Blue

Old Blue

Mar 18, 2000
    Texas
    The amount of routing needed is pretty small. I used a Dremel tool and was able to enlarge the cavity enough to fit the new pickup in just a few minutes. I've heard that others do it in even less time using a small wood chisel.

13. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    TJBass - I bought my pickups locally in San Francisco at Gary Brawers Shop on Lafayette street. He has a set of Antiquity IIs as well. I think any shop can order pickups for you though. Where are you located?

funk_engineer - My MIM Fretless Jazz is a 2000 model with equal sized pickups and strat knobs. There seems to be low tolerance in the routing of the pickup cavities because I didn't have to rout the body at all. The pickup slipped right in. It's snug. I did have to shave a bit of the "half moons" in the pickguard. It's really minimal. I did it with my B&D dremel equivalent. You could do it with a sharp knife. (please don't cut yourself)

I got rid of the strat knobs and put on a black pickguard, BTW. and it's remarkable how much happier I am with the appearance of my bass.

Edit - for grammar

14. I managed to install a American bridge pickup into my 2000 MIM fretless with no modifications. It's tight, but it fits.

I put a set of Dimarzio DP123's in my American Jazz. I like the low-mid punch out of these better then the stock, and they're only $90 a set at Muscian's Friend.