Want P-Bass to sound like Ric...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Ninja>Pirate, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Ninja>Pirate

Ninja>Pirate Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Saskatchewan Canada
    I love the P-bass sound, it's probably my favorite sound. I just bought a Fender Highway 1 P-Bass (sunburst *drool*) and I love the way it sounds, I want to add a pickup to have more tonal variety.

Now here I have a sound clip, and in the clip (modest mouse: bury me with it) the bassist is playing a Ric. I was just wondering what I would have to do to sound like that. I'm willing to mount a ric pickup on my pbass, neck or bridge, whatever it takes, or change strings to sound like that, I'm not willing to use a pick. I also haven't bought a big amp yet, so if you have any advice on an amp that would get me closest to that sound please enlighten me ($1000 budget for head/cab), I was thinking of a Traynor YBA200 and an avatar 15" pro.

Basically: "Will mounting a SD Ric pickup on my pbass make it sound like a ric? Or would I have to buy a ric? (don't have that kind of money)"

:ninja: Oh... Hello to everyone, I've been looking around on this forum for tips for a while but just recently decided I should post. This seems like one of the best communities I've ever seen.

Attached Files:

2. I'm with you...

I wanted my wishbass to sound like a Wal...to I took it to WALMART! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Seriously, If you like the P-bass...keep it as a P-bass...
    If you want the Ric sound...buy a Ric...
  3. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Boosting your highs and mids will resault in a more "Rick" sound. But if that doesn't work, you COULD try a new pickup, but really...just play with your amp, see what you can do.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Here's how you make your P sound like a Ric...sell it and buy a Ric.
  5. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    The biggest factor in the sound of a Rickenbacker is the construction, not the pickups. Sorry, but the other guys are right, if you really want the sound of a Rickenbacker, you need a Rickenbacker. Start saving, I suppose.
  6. Ninja>Pirate

Sep 14, 2005
    Saskatchewan Canada
    Thanks for the comments guys, I realize one is maple neck thru and one is maple neck, alder body bolt on, I was hoping that didn't have a huge bearing on the tone, but I was wrong.

Any info on what P-bass replacement pickup is the warmest, brightest, with a bit of growl like in the clip?
  7. dexterward

Sep 30, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hey, sorry, this is off topic, but I just noticed your screenname.... RealUltimatePower is an awesome book.....

Get pumped
  8. A P-bass Elite II might get you close to that...

that's a P-bass with 2 P pickups in it...

But seriously...if you have $1000 you're not that far from a ric..keep saving.
  9. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    I think the key to the Rickenbacker sound is a combination of the very bright thru-neck maple bodies, and the mixture of the 2 pickups together... maybe there's some in/out of phase thing going on when the pickups are combined to give you that 'almost chorused' kind of sound

I got rid of my 4003 because I always used to cut my hands to shreds on all the bits of protruding hardware, but I've always thought it'd be nice to have that sound (or close) available in a more comfortable bass... doubt it's possible without a pointlessly big hatchet & wiring job
  10. dr_love2112

May 28, 2005
    baytown texas
    or if your cheap (broke) like me, buy a jazz and run the bridge at 100% and the neck about 50% and on the amp boost the mids and highs and having low action helps
  11. KPJ

KPJ Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Only about $50 more!
  12. I think you can get close if you install a jazz pickup in the bridge position of your p-bass and running the j-full and turn down the p to taste. It works for me.
  13. Ninja>Pirate

Sep 14, 2005
    Saskatchewan Canada
    I really like the sound of the 51 pbasses, but I didn't like the feel of the neck finish on the MIJ 51 reissues otherwise I might have one right now. I was thinking of putting a SD single coil pbass pickup inbetween the neck and the current pickup position.
    What do you guys predict that would sound like? I think it would sound really warm and fat. It's never been done before as far as I know...

P.S. that $1000 is not for RIC buying, I already bought a good bass, now I need an amp for stage, my band has a gig in one month and all I have is a practice amp.
  14. ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    Honestly, I've heard nothing but great things from Nordstrand pickups. They make a p version, and i'd expect to be of the highest quality. Carey stands by all his products, and is on TB frequently (or so it seems). And they have an AMAZING resale. They seem to sell like hot cakes once put on the market. Also i've heard the Suhrs are very nice, not sure if they make a p though. In all honesty, I'm not a huge fan of SD pickups, but go ahead and try it if you want.

For your amp.... Schroder 1210 or w/e size you feel necesary is one of the favored cabs on tb. I'd really reconmend a Eden 410XLT (Used) + Gallien Krueger 800 RB (Used again). I got that set up for 1050, i probably got ripped, but you can't put a price on tone ;).
  15. I think it would sound a lot like a jazz bass in that configuration. You'll get the warmth and the fatness from the neck pickup already in place...you'll get growl and bite from a bridge pickup. I

f you could get one that is reverse of the other, then you can get hum cancelling, which would be a benefit, that's how jazz pups are set up. Perhaps you should go for a bridge position jazz pup instead, to give you that benefit.