Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Want P tone, considering a G&L L1000...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Jun 26, 2003.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'm firmly in the grip of GAS...

I've been wanting a P bass for awhile, but just can't warm to any of the Fenders I've tried.

A L1000 seems like it would fit the bill for me, and would give me some added versatility. I want a single pickup passive bass.

What should I look for (and look out for) in an L1000? Can anyone guide me to prices?

2. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I don't claim to have ever touched a L1000, but what other than the position of the pickup makes your think that it would be a better P bass sound than a split coil? Bartolini makes a single pickup with a split p-config inside that I hear is really great. It can be run pasive, unlike the similar EMG.

If you've played a L1000 and think it nails the p-bass sound you are after, then feel free to ignore everything that I just posted.

Mark

3. the L1000 is not passive it has volume, bass, treble. it can be switched into passive mode. I have never played one so don't know what they sound like.

I am a big fan of G&L and if you want a kicking P bass get a SB-1. do a search on ebay and you will find a bunch of them for sale. you could pick up a real nice one for about $400-$600. I am not saying that the L1000 is bad, but from what you said it might not be what you are looking for. nothing beats a good simple P-bass.

follow this link to see some on ebay

4. sdguyman

sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    I second the G&L. Leo out did himself designing the G&L line, the best darn guitar I own and would never consider letting go of! :cool:

5. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I used to own a L1000, and it is definately a passive bass. It has volume, tone, and a 3 position switch that gives you single coil, both coils, and a third option I don't remember (I sold the bass in '96, and I never used that position anyway). It also does the P-bass sound very well.

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Like I need another bass...

I have a beater L-1000 on the way!

7. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Cool. I've always regretted selling mine.