1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Want some opinions on a body shape

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by CnB77, Aug 16, 2012.

1. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    Previously "Need opinions on a body shape," original text struck out, as this is now officially my Wal-shaped U-Bass thread!

GY12h.
    WhiS7.

Plans are: Fretless, unlined neck (unless I get cold feet and decide to do individual bridges per string and fret it), trapezoidal profile, 23.5" scale
    Piezo pickup (likely DIY from a buzzer or two)
    Active pre/buffer (no tone control, just impedance matching and maybe a high-pass filter for some very vague Wallyness and better tone)
    Pahoehoe strings from Road Toad

The body will be 2 or 3 layers of different colored wood so that when I do the arm bevel, you see 2 or 3 different colors! Neck will be a 3 piece laminate.

This should be fun! Now that I have my full-size drawing I can do some measurements and go wood shopping!

[DEL]Was a little bored the other day so I took out the ol pencil and started doodling basses. I came up with something I really liked the look of, so I scanned the image and put it into Sketchup (which I'm not a huge fan of. Missing too much functionality) to do a quick model of it. I'm looking at it and it seems cool, but I wonder if it might be uncomfortable. There will likely be an aggressive roundover and a nice arm/belly bevel so take that into account. It's a short scale.

http://i.imgur.com/kyLf6.png

Fake human is there for scale purposes. You'll note that the neck doesn't taper, that's on purpose.

Let me know what you think! Thanks in advance![/DEL]

2. I think it looks pretty sweet! Comfort idk.

3. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    Thanks! I guess I was initially concerned because of the bottom curve being pretty close to the neck whereas on my other basses its further back. Then I remembered that a number of basses like the EB-3 among others have it in a similar position to mine. I guess I won't know unless I build it. There will more than likely be a build thread on this coming up. I have what I think is a fairly novel build technique. I'm also planning on using a piezo pickup so I might do a wood quiz too: see who can identify the wood from the vibrations it produces :D :bag:

4. Smilodon

Smilodon Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Norway
    Nice! A hoverbass! :smug:

I don't think comfort will be much of an issue, but you may find that you get a slight "bridge dive" when you are playing sitting down. It's difficult to know for sure before it's built, though.

5. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    hahaha! If I could duplicate the hoverbass functionality in real life, these would be a hit. Move over Birdsong! There's a new lightweight bass on the block!

I know what you mean. I'll definitely make one of these out of home depot woods to get a feel for it before I buy a whole bunch of exotic wood

6. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    Looks cool, but you may want to move the lower (treble side) waist toward the bridge, so that it will balance better on the leg when sitting down.

Your choice of course, as it's your design, but that is something you may want to consider.

7. Nidan

Nidan

Oct 31, 2008
    Duluth , Ga
  8. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    That's what I was thinking. I'll play around with it a bit.

That one's very cool. Love the way they have a cut on the rear of the guitar so you can easily play in classical position.

9. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    Did some changes. Refined the upper bout (I think it's called that) and changed s good deal of the bottom. Also added an f-hole, since this will be a hollowbody (or at lest more of a tele-thinline style)

45lLf.

10. Praxist

Praxist

May 28, 2010
    British Columbia
    drawing out my plans to full scale has helped me a lot to plan things and make them work. i notice that your design puts the 12th fret out from the upper horn which might be a neck dive problem but it mihgt not either. Maybe the hollowed headstock will help?

11. Nidan

Nidan

Oct 31, 2008
    Duluth , Ga
    That's lookin very nice , good progress!

12. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I think it's not going to balance well as is.
    I think the red one looks MUCH beter but still doesn't look like it's going to balance well.

13. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    I'm concerned about balance as well, even with lightweight tuners.

One thing that has crossed my mind is scaling it down to 22-24" scale length and making it into a longer scale U-bass. Then it'll be small enough that neck dive isn't a huge thing, especially if I use lightweight Ashbory tuners.

I'll also probably tease it more to get a longer upper horn. My original drawing had a longer one, but I decided it didn't look right the way the rest of the body was shaped. I'm at work now, so when I have a bit of downtime I'll sketch something new up

I did also do a full scale printout of my earlier design, and that led to some of the design changes in my red drawing.

14. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    Just started doodling a bit scaled to 23"...

My first drawing looked a bit like a Wal

I could just trace and appropriately scale a real Wal...

We'll see

15. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    Here's our favorite model with what I call the CNB W-Bass (or: Walkulele)

GY12h.

In other news, extremely short scale basses look very silly. This has a scale length of about 23.5"

No headstock yet, not sure what will look good without being huge

Since the U bass has a very slanty bridge, I'm not sure how that will work out. The longest strings available are said to work with 22 to 24" scale, so we'll see. Anybody have a clue about intonation on this? It'll be fretless, but lined.

16. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    I'd like to make it with a trapezoidal neck profile, but it's patented

While I'm sure nobody would ever go after me because it'd be a huge waste of money to litigate, I don't want to get any complaints. People seem to do it with no problem on cigar box guitars with no issue, so we'll see.

17. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned SUSPENDED

Wal U-bass is cool. Nobody is going to go after you for making a trapezoidal neck, unless you decide to sell this to the masses.

18. jordak

jordak

Apr 7, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Excuse me, but at 23.5" scale, what do you plan on stringing it with. Even with Shortscale 50-110 strings it will probably feel loose.

19. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    these http://www.roadtoadmusic.com/accessories.html
    special made for uke basses

20. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    Yup, that's the way I feel. The guy who holds the patent actually lives semi-near me. Might as well shoot an email his way for permission, he seems like a cool guy. Here's his site: http://www.ricktoone.com/